Language Suggestion

Talk about (almost) anything

Language Suggestion

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm

English/Anglais
This has been bugging me for a bit, but many people are using French (Gee, I wonder why?{*sarcasm"}), and it isn't a bad thing, but Google Translate is an idiot sometimes.
It will only translate if there is enough text of a unreadable language (usually 4-5 posts), and it isn't perfect.
Therefore, I have come up with basic rules:
  • Please use English. The majority of the world uses it(I think?).
  • If you don't know English, then use Google Translate.

This is simply a suggestion, you don't have to lay them down. :oops:

French/Français
Cela a été sur écoute-moi un peu, mais beaucoup de gens utilisent française (Gee, je me demande pourquoi? {* Sarcasme "}), et il ne est pas une mauvaise chose, mais Google Translate est un idiot parfois.
Il ne traduit se il ya suffisamment de texte d'une langue incompréhensible (habituellement 4-5 messages), et il ne est pas parfait.
Par conséquent, je suis venu avec les règles de base:
[list][*] Se il vous plaît utiliser l'anglais. La majorité du monde l'utilise (je crois?).
[*] Si vous ne savez pas l'anglais, puis utilisez Google Translate. [/ List]

Ce est tout simplement une suggestion, vous ne avez pas à les fixer. :oops:
Skyrunner65

Re: Language Suggestion

Postby Myndale » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeah good luck with that SkyRunner. You don't know too many French people, do you? :lol:

Seriously though, the most important thing for the Gamebuino community IMO is participation and we should all be doing everything we can to welcome and encourage forum activity irrespective of which language people choose to use. For most (all?) of the French members on this forum English would be their second language. Asking basic programming questions when you're just starting out can be intimidating enough as is for most people, having to do it in a language that you have only a passing familiarity with from high school only adds to that. The people who post in French all know that they're limiting the number of people who will read and respond to their posts, as it turns out there are enough other French members on this board to make it worth their while anyway. For me personally I have no problem doing an extra right-click to translate a page and I've never seen a case where Google translate hasn't been able to provide a reasonable idea of what's being discussed. I will concede that it's mildly annoying to see French subject lines mixed in with English ones on the category pages but hey, it wouldn't kill me to learn a few extra words of French here and there.

Just my own 2 francs ;)
Myndale

Postby Quirby64 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm usually fine with waiting for another 3-4 posts to come in a new thread/page. Just my 2 Cents (Or, should I say pence)
Quirby64

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:19 pm

I might be overreacting a bit on this, now that I'm thinking about this.
But, it wouldn't hurt for these rules to be set in stone.
Plus, based on the forum, I'll probably learn French in college (I can't do it in High School, all they have is Latin and Spanish[LAME], and two courses are REQUIRED).
Skyrunner65

Postby Drakker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:40 am

The good news is that if you do learn both latin and spanish, learning french will be a piece of cake. I have no knowledge of spanish whatsoever, yet I can mostly decipher it by knowing french and english (and very little german, but that is of absolutely no use for spanish).
Drakker

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:37 am

I think I'll take two courses on Latin, since Latin is the basis of all Language, right?
Skyrunner65

Postby Drakker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:10 pm

Not really. It had some influence on most south european languages and some on eastern european languages. A lot of europe's languages are actually of germanic descent. Europe was a large melting pot of many different languages, and it has been invaded multiple times from outside, bringing in even more languages. Latin is most notable for the fact that it was the dominant language of the roman empire, meaning it had a lot of time to influence other languages.
Drakker

Postby rodot » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:43 pm

I agree with you Myndale. As long as people add a language tag like [FR] in the topic title it's pretty easy for you not to read them, Skyrunner. Moreover most of the Gamebuino are sold in France now (contrary to the indiegogo campaign, when it was merely 10% of the sales), so French posts will interest at least as many people as the English ones ;)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby erico » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:05 pm

The quotes about the language used is fine with me too.
erico

Return to General forum