My Poor Computer...

Talk about (almost) anything

My Poor Computer...

Postby Skyrunner65 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:35 am

I can't talk much right now, as my Desktop computer has died (Will turn on, but won't boot), and I'm getting someone to look at it.

If you guys want to, you can share stories of devices suddenly dying. I've got one.

I had gotten a tablet for my birthday. Come January, it decides not to charge anymore.
Well, it lasted 6 months, great for a $70 tablet.
Skyrunner65

Re: My Poor Computer...

Postby Sorunome » Tue May 26, 2015 11:48 am

I just fix my broken computer/laptop on my own, if it encounters an issue ^.^

And so it happened that I already unscrewed my laptop multiple times, hehe
Sorunome

Postby Skyrunner65 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Oh Laptops, one of the harder things to fix.
I'm thinking on getting one though, probably the HP Stream 11.

TINY SSD, but that can be switched out for a different drive. My dad has a 200 GB Hard Drive, I can probably get it off of him.
(I do like SSDs though...)
Skyrunner65

Postby Marcus » Tue May 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Broken laptops suck :-/

My Netbook (10.1" N270@1.6GHz, 512/1024MB RAM, 160gb HDD) is falling apart now.

Third (cheap) battery, third power adapter, remapped 5 keys as the top row is not working anymore, tape on the trackpad button, the letters have vanished from some keys due to heavy use; Solvent from working with plastic models has left stains on the thing; Scratches, dents...

And just now the key "A" stopped working more or less (contact issue), some other letters have broken plastic holders.

It's also annoyingly slow despite recently upgrading and optimizing start-up Youtube-Videos barely play on the old single core device, upgrading it to 1GB Ram did not help much. . .

I guess I'm going to upgrade. Fun 6 years! Super long run-times, and despite slow, I got lot done on it. A whole magazine layout, 60 megapixel posters, close to 300 x 3D models with most of them on Thingiverse, Video editing.... And a lot of cursing due to the slow machine :-)

I hate spending money on something I "don't need", but even I have ordered a $10 keyboard module it seems too much of n hassle. Disassembling, back-up, finally switching from XP to Windows 7 or 8, and possibly replace the battery again seems more of a hassle then it's worth anymore :-( I would probably spend a whole Sunday on this.

Now I also have a feel of guilt as I also wanted to order (or get it as birthday gift from my SO) the Gamebuino, but the other spend has priority. Meh. Money is a stupid concept.

Now I am just not sure what to get.
-A refurbished €140 Netbook (10" N2600/1GB/320GB) perhaps, but I would probably end up having to buy a new €30 battery right away;
-A new 220-250€ Netbook (which my SO has) would be the most obvious replacement, but I really dislike the touchpad (which would be bad as I do 2D/3D graphics with it), and the other choices in this price range have a much lower battery life or just an SSD;
-Then there's the Acer Aspire E3 for €298 which is more then I am comfortable with for a "spontaneous" purchase, plus with the extra weight and size I can't just slip it into my backpack as easily (Though I do have a cheap Dell Venue Pro Windows tablet which I got for Christmas two years ago, so I guess I still have something portable).
Marcus

Postby jonnection » Tue May 26, 2015 6:35 pm

I buy old laptops and fix and upgrade them. I have 5 thinkpads, 2 HP elitebooks, a toshiba tecra, and 2 desktop comps. And I use them all ;) The elitebooks and the tecra are those rare models with a flip screen and wacom pressure sensitive displays (you can draw directly on screen). Really excellent for art. I just couldn't let them go when I saw them on an auction, a wacom intuos touch screen is worth >700€. I got my elitebooks for less than 200€. The thinkpads i got from ex-corp it department junk bins for 20€. Just keep your eyes open for good bargains. I have not bought a computer new for many many years.
jonnection

Postby Marcus » Tue May 26, 2015 7:36 pm

I kind of have the same "spleen" with telescopes :-)
And the computer exhibit in the basement.
And gadgets. //Edit: Though not as amazing as http://www.gamewatchguys.com/watch_collection.php
And ...
:-)

Neat, I always wanted a Wacom screen - kind of pricey though. I managed to get a Aiptek screen dirt cheap years ago, but it just did not perform nearly as good, neither does the Dell Venue 8. There was a 8" tablet with Wacom technology but it was not performing well either I've read. You get what you pay for.

I usually use my computers until it gets more tedious to repair then to build a new one. The good thing about a computer spleen is that you can provide everyone around you with free support and spares :-) But the holidays kind of turn into a computer service marathon at relatives and friends...

The best deal I made was a refurbished XGA projector for €11 which still works (estimated lamp life of ~2000hrs, current lamp live 3000hrs :-) )
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat May 30, 2015 9:43 am

Shoot!
I've received my Aspire E5 (15.6"/i3 1,7GHz,4GB/1TB), an amazing piece of technology for the relatively low price...
But it seems like the touchpad they ship with is now a "Precision" touchpad instead of the previous Synaptics.
Long story short: No advanced settings beyond the Windows settings, meaning when I start to slowly move my finger to draw my sprites, it'll lag and then speed up. It's impossible for me to make graphics that way without wanting to throw the thing out of the window :-(
I know touchpads are not ideal for any graphic editing, but hey, I've been using my netbook's touchpad for years.
Should I return this laptop just because of the poor trackpad settings? And even if, there are little to no alternatives that I could afford and offer similar hardware... :-/
Marcus

Postby Sorunome » Sat May 30, 2015 10:35 am

Marcus wrote:Shoot!
I've received my Aspire E5 (15.6"/i3 1,7GHz,4GB/1TB), an amazing piece of technology for the relatively low price...
But it seems like the touchpad they ship with is now a "Precision" touchpad instead of the previous Synaptics.
Long story short: No advanced settings beyond the Windows settings, meaning when I start to slowly move my finger to draw my sprites, it'll lag and then speed up. It's impossible for me to make graphics that way without wanting to throw the thing out of the window :-(
I know touchpads are not ideal for any graphic editing, but hey, I've been using my netbook's touchpad for years.
Should I return this laptop just because of the poor trackpad settings? And even if, there are little to no alternatives that I could afford and offer similar hardware... :-/

If that is such an important feature for you, maybe you should return it. If you do a lot of digital graphics stuff maybe you wanne look for a pc draw pad thingy?
Sorunome

Postby Marcus » Sat May 30, 2015 1:36 pm

I have a digitizer tablet, but for simple sprites my old touch pad worked just fine :-) Also, on the couch after work a digitizer tablet would just be difficult to handle :-) Oh well. I'll evaluate the laptop and see if I can find a work around...
Marcus

Postby Skyrunner65 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:59 pm

It has been fixed, I guess....
Nothing wrong with it, but what if it kicks the bucket for good?
Oh well.
Skyrunner65

Next

Return to General forum