Windows 10: Should we upgrade?

Talk about (almost) anything

Windows 10: Should we upgrade?

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Anyone that has Windows 7 or 8 is eligible to get Windows 10, Microsoft's new OS.

Question is, should we?
  • There are reports of privacy issues (which can be turned off).
  • The new interface may seem strange(but at least we can get rid of that stupid start screen from Windows 8).
  • THE BUGS.
  • Compatibility's great, but not perfect(on my checker, zero incompaible apps).

I'll probably hold off until I either get a larger Hard Drive(only 80 gigs) or I'm sure My PC can hold it.
Skyrunner65

Re: Windows 10: Should we upgrade?

Postby adekto » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:58 pm

currently running 10 pro, everything seems fine
did need to unistall a bunch of junk
adekto

Postby erico » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:20 pm

I´m afraid a new windows won´t work with some of my hardware which I don´t intend to buy new ones.
It will also generally slow down my stuff.

I run win 7 and will be doing it for a while, I will wait an year or a bit less before I give 10 a go.
erico

Postby agentavacado » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:27 am

It should be totally fine! I've been having problems with it but they seem to somehow be linked with System Restore, which I used < a week earlier. Be sure to decide before next year, you'll have to buy it for full price then.
agentavacado

Postby erico » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:59 am

for sure, but I will probably look into a pro version, in my case I don´t need to fork for it.
I´m afraid my old but excellent audigy soundblaster and pocket camera won´t have a driver, it was already hard to figure out something for win 7 64b.
erico

Postby Myndale » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:36 am

The only real problem I've experienced is my Surface Pro 2 won't stay asleep, which I've "fixed" by making it hibernate instead.

The worst story I've heard so far (or the funniest, depending on how you look at it) is with respect to the way it automatically takes the photos in your My Pictures folder and makes a slide-show screen saver out of them. Apparently some guys have been caught out by their wives and children being confronted with images that probably shouldn't have been stored in that particular folder.... ;)
Myndale

Postby erico » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:47 pm

haha, that is evil!

Oh well, I never liked to use system designated folders on windows. (ie my docs, my music, user folders, etc)
Coming from workbench on the amiga, I always enjoyed to create my own file structure and still do till today.
Even the desktop is bad for me and I try to keep shortcuts into it.

Once I had a full 2 days work to do and was travelling, so I used someone else computer to do it and didn´t notice windows was logged on a temporary user. I kept all work files on desktop...when the work was done, for some reason, the machine crashed and when it re-booted, it erased all desktop content of that temporary user without asking or a change to get the files back.

I practically spitted fire this day. ;)
erico

Postby Sorunome » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:36 pm

I highly recommend against upgrading to windows 10 due to many security issues, such as an integrated keylogger and having backdoors open for microsoft.
More about that here: http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microso ... -move.html
Sorunome

Return to General forum