Linux Question - Turning off direct rendering

Talk about (almost) anything

Linux Question - Turning off direct rendering

Postby Quirby64 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:44 am

Eyyyyyyyy guyssss
I've been trying to turn off hardware acceleration for my nearly-10-year-old-computer to run programs (and by that I mean games). I've been doing small amounts of research for the past 5 days, and the repeating links that show up don't give much insight to turn it off (and little on turning it on of the pages I've looked at). I know that the programs I'm trying to run have alternate versions to run without D/R on the windows versions...but I paid for a Linux version of said game with no option. And turning it off for the programs makes them both almost twice as fast and smooth, which I'm guessing would also help improve performance for the entire PC.

Other notes before I go ,and let the magic of the forum do it's work :
- I checked through the command line that I have it on through GLXInfo and Mesa-utils.
- My CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 (Though I'm not sure if that helps.)
- My GPU is a Nvidia GeForce 1650SE Nforce 430.
Quirby64

Re: Linux Question - Turning off direct rendering

Postby Drakker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:12 pm

It is extremely unlikely that turning off hardware acceleration will make thing faster. But you might want to use the plain old VESA driver if you want to try it.

Also, make sure you are using the proprietary Nvidia driver, not the nouveau driver. Nouveau is constantly improving, but it is still a far cry from the proprietary driver and doesn't support older hardware like yours very well. If you are using *Ubuntu, you can check this out through the restricted driver configuration that you will find wherever your chosen window/desktop manager holds the system configs, usually in a start-menu like button.
Drakker

Re: Linux Question - Turning off direct rendering

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Little off of the topic, but when my PC was running Fedora, I had the Nouveau Driver.
It was WAY slower than when my pc was on Windows, but I didn't know there was a driver from NVIDIA on Fedora... :(
Skyrunner65

Return to General forum