buinomon open development

Talk about (almost) anything

Re: mid april design challenge

Postby hrangan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Let's set up a wiki sub section for this. It'll allow for collaboration, while allowing for separate discussion on each topic (architecture, pkmn design, game balance, etc.)

We'll need a system to make sure the choices being made are what's best for the game, as opposed to what a lot of people want.

And I agree that an initial draft of game design ideas would be best. Can this thread now also accommodate design notes, and we slowly work on consolidating the best ideas.

I love the angry monk :D
hrangan

Postby ripper121 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:34 pm

I have talkt about a Game section with rodot, but he think a Thread that list all games is better.

I think also the wiki is a better place for a Game collection and Development.

Update:
AngryMonkey.png
AngryMonkey.png (969 Bytes) Viewed 6314 times
ripper121

Postby adekto » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:33 pm

ok i see some concerns
design wise we got our rules based on the pokemon system
there something missing of course but just to make it clear this is purely concept stage
and the designs are currently wild and thats ok
ending up with a pole with all designs. winners will collaborate with as a team to set straight some designs expand on them and make a full 150(ish) monster roster

also lore, story, game mechanics all u can think up or think will be cool to do present it here and feel free to discuss it

to but it bluntly first get a bunch of ideas together then poll them then evaluate and review
adekto

Postby charleshetrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:36 pm

I think that the chinese 5 chart is the best way to go and that we should use those 5 as the categories of monsters and then branch them out into different types of monster such as flying, electric, ice and so on. Afterwards we should then decide on how many monsters will go into each element of Buinómon like what Rodot said and then decide on the types of what they will be . e.g water could have ice monsters and earth could have dirt or bug.

We also need to make sure we make the monsters equal in each element much like Pokémon so it is fair. This can be seen in the chart below which is used in Pokémon. We don't need to use all of the types that are shown but it can be used in future reference if we ever need to make sure that the monsters are all fair in battle.

Is this what you guys are thinking of?
Attachments
typechart.png
typechart.png (57.8 KiB) Viewed 6313 times
charleshetrel

Postby constantgamer247 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:10 pm

rodot wrote:Shouldn't game design come before sprites?

...actually yes >_<

hrangan wrote:Let's set up a wiki sub section for this. It'll allow for collaboration, while allowing for separate discussion on each topic

a wiki page for the game is probably what is needed.

rodot wrote:I agree with the 5 Chinese elements.

I second the idea of 5 elements, but maybe there should be a neutral that only has some mutual affection from the other types. Not weakened by other types but not Over Powered over any other types.
constantgamer247

Postby Syncaze » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

So are we doing a Spectrobes kind of thing? Each type is both weak and strong against some other two?
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (4.32 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Syncaze

Postby charleshetrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Syncaze wrote:So are we doing a Spectrobes kind of thing? Each type is both weak and strong against some other two?

I think that's the best way to do it because it allows the players to think strategically throughout the game and it also makes it a lot more interesting :D
charleshetrel

Postby erico » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:52 pm

The 5 elements are nice.

But I would prefer a way more simple system, probably a 3 element: rock scissors paper style, with ~50 creatures to boot.

I think if this is to be a community effort, it is important to keep the design as simple as possible.
If the whole idea finally gets completed and released, we can then expand on that.

It is better to start small and with a simple target. IMHO
My creature coming soon...
erico

Postby charleshetrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:15 pm

erico wrote:The 5 elements are nice.

But I would prefer a way more simple system, probably a 3 element: rock scissors paper style

That's a good idea but it's difficult to choose 3 natures that would be strong and weak towards one another. If we can find 3 natures that work well together that would be good. I was thinking Fire, Water and Earth but then i realised that earth would probably be a neutral nature against the others. Thats why 5 natures is good because it balances it all out.
charleshetrel

Postby SilentSpy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:19 pm

Turns out I'm awful at pixel art. Anyone have any tutorials? More on topic I think that just having three different types would make the game feel a little shallow, I'd prefer to see maybe eight to ten so you can't just have all types on your team and destroy everything.
SilentSpy

PreviousNext

Return to General forum