Possible to sell games?

Talk about (almost) anything

Re: Possible to sell games?

Postby yodasvideoarcade » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Haha!
yodasvideoarcade

Postby DFX2KX » Wed May 07, 2014 8:41 am

adekto wrote:if we are setting up this store front or watever u want to call it we will have to havely moderate it
and work on a submission system so we can put our seal of approval onto it (also to see there is not r rated or 18+ stuff in it)
there be probably no pricing on our store front except for donation (tip jar) on the side
unless u want to be on the top of the page or anything we wont ask any revenue from u
exceptions to some of these ruling can be mmo (subscription model for server costs) but that is also to be seen

possible ways to make money: soundtrack, paperback manual, merchandise we will probably let u add those in the game description

sorry if this sounds not open or somthing but its for the best if u want a healthy ecosystem and not have 100 pong clones on the front page (we all remember what happened in 1983)

edit:
there is still the forum to post any games u make and we love to see them (even if there pong clones)

The Minecraft Mod ecosystem is doing quite well, and all of those are free. Though yes, a way to make donations to well-done and/or well loved projects seems reasonable. In order for the 'ecosystem' to do 'well' by commercial standards, you'd have to have a few thousand more Gamebuinos out there. And 'consumers' using them, that didn't buy the thing just to make and share their own games.

Now, if someone offered a game, which had full features, and came on it's own SD 'cartridge' or some nifty I2C gadget that plugged in (which allowed me to use it myself, too), then I'd give some serious thought to paying for it. (If someone manages to make an MMO run on the Gamebuino, I'll have to eat my shoe, that'd be impressive) I've donated to free projects before, when I thought my money was going to something worthwhile.
DFX2KX

Postby adekto » Wed May 07, 2014 1:42 pm

DFX2KX wrote:Now, if someone offered a game, which had full features, and came on it's own SD 'cartridge' or some nifty I2C gadget that plugged in (which allowed me to use it myself, too), then I'd give some serious thought to paying for it.

i have looked into that, a "boxed copy" with either an sd card or a locked eeprom module
but i think if u buy one of these its a must that u have an account on the gamebuino store where u can download the game and any new version (patched) of the game you buy

(little bit of advertising)
for the buinomon project i was thinking of having a little toy made with a chip and that thing will store a special monster u can get from it exclusive to the boxed version of the game, but im still looking into it (it maybe way to expensive for people)
adekto

Postby DFX2KX » Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 am

adekto wrote:
DFX2KX wrote:Now, if someone offered a game, which had full features, and came on it's own SD 'cartridge' or some nifty I2C gadget that plugged in (which allowed me to use it myself, too), then I'd give some serious thought to paying for it.

i have looked into that, a "boxed copy" with either an sd card or a locked eeprom module
but i think if u buy one of these its a must that u have an account on the gamebuino store where u can download the game and any new version (patched) of the game you buy

(little bit of advertising)
for the buinomon project i was thinking of having a little toy made with a chip and that thing will store a special monster u can get from it exclusive to the boxed version of the game, but im still looking into it (it maybe way to expensive for people)

Unless you have a 3d printer and can make it yourself, it likely would be pretty pricey. Toy costs do not scale down well.

And agreed, game updates aught to be free for anyone that purchased or donated or what have you. As for me, if I bought a boxed copy of Buinomon, I'd likely just use the download version and keep the box nice for posterity :D

I think the big sellers would be i2c modules, and the like. (physical things not being downloadable, and all)
DFX2KX

Postby adekto » Thu May 08, 2014 2:00 am

i know a toy is not that easy to produce. but i wonder if it be weird if u buy a box of the game without the game in it (no sd card) just a nice box a descent book and a something like a overworld map in fabric
adekto

Postby erico » Thu May 08, 2014 7:37 pm

A paper cut/fold toy is not that expensive to produce, and there is the DIY part to it that is always a pleasure to undertake. ;)
erico

Postby yodasvideoarcade » Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 pm

As I already offered - since I work in a printing-company specialized on board-games, I can easily make boxes with an inlay and instruction-booklet for selling physical copies of games as collector's items. Check the mockup-pictures I made inmy previous post.
yodasvideoarcade

Postby adekto » Fri May 09, 2014 2:23 am

board-games u say, i was wondering do custom dice and stuff like pions or are they stock parts?

also i like ur design on the boxes but there a bit to bland for a box u present on a shelf i was thinking on doing a proper box cover painting, although we need like header with like "gamebuino and compatibles, requires expansion module 1" kinda stuff
adekto

Postby erico » Fri May 09, 2014 4:03 am

Yep, the designed boxes are quite nice!

I meant paper toys like the one appended, maybe it can be the back part of the box, like the cereal boxes, or some sheets inside the box.
Attachments
3081917237_7f1795334e_o.jpg
3081917237_7f1795334e_o.jpg (167.73 KiB) Viewed 6453 times
erico

Postby lushinsky » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:44 pm

yodasvideoarcade wrote:What do you think of these boxes?

I can easily make them for the games and the gamebuino itself.

Theses are so cool, and a booklet would be even cooler if possible. I just recently ordered my Gamebuino and I need one of these boxes for a collectors item... Is it possible for me to purchase one? I don't know much about programming or anything like that, I just bought the Gamebuino to toy with at first, but one of these boxes would really make it feel like a handheld system :)
lushinsky

Previous

Return to General forum