How to build?

Talk about (almost) anything

How to build?

Postby aderp1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi there, this may not be the place to post this, but I aspire to create my own handheld arduino game system. I have heard that before Rodot developed the Gamebuino, he created a prototype and was telling people how to create their own. I was just wondering if the instructions were online somewhere (if so, could you please tell me the site), or if he just told people word-of-mouth or had some physical instructions. Thank you for your help! :D
aderp1

Re: How to build?

Postby rodot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 pm

The only thing you have to do is to connect a screen and few buttons to a microcontroller :lol:
Sorry, my answer is vague, just as your question :roll:

Do you want to create a console with the same hardware than Gamebuino and use the Gamebuino library? Or make something different?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby aderp1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Haha, sorry for the unspecific question, what I was thinking is to use the same/similar hardware as the Gamebuino and use the same library of games. I understand if you don't want to divulge this info, because then people would just be able to copy the system and that wouldn't be good for your business, but I was just thinking that it would be cool to try to create this, because then I could add my own features and connections. If I were to make my own, however, I promise that I wouldn't try to compete with you! :D Thanks!
aderp1

Postby Myndale » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Also the BOM and circuit schematic are on the wiki's hardware page:

http://gamebuino.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware

You don't need everything, an Arduino, LCD and buttons is enough to get started.
Myndale

Postby aderp1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! I will let you all know if/when this plan of mine comes to fruition! :D
aderp1

Postby aderp1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Sorry, I have one last question. The Nokia 5110 84x48 LCD has only 8 pins but your schematic shows 9?
aderp1

Postby Sot0 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 am

aderp1 wrote:Sorry, I have one last question. The Nokia 5110 84x48 LCD has only 8 pins but your schematic shows 9?

If you connect it like i wrote in my post it works.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=595#p2047

You may need to adjust the contrast in settings.c
Sot0

Postby aderp1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:27 am

Hi! It's been a while, but unfortunately, I haven't had time to work on building my gamebuino. :cry: However, I hope to start soon, as I am going to order the parts. Should I get the ATmega328 or ATmega328P? What's the difference? Also, apart from that, the Nokia 5110 LCD, buttons, and the like, are there any other specific parts I need to get started?
aderp1

Postby Myndale » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:24 pm

aderp1 wrote:ATmega328 or ATmega328P? What's the difference?

As I understand it the 328 is SMD chip while the 328P is DIP. This is a bit of a confusing area actually because you also get other chips like the 328P-PU which is more-or-less the same but reports a different ID and thus require you to slightly modify the Arduino config settings if you plan to upload via the IDE. Short answer: get the 328P.

aderp1 wrote:Also, apart from that, the Nokia 5110 LCD, buttons, and the like, are there any other specific parts I need to get started?

You're going to need some way of getting games onto Gamebuino, so either an SD socket or a USB->Serial cable for uploading directly (you can also replace the cable with a few discrete components if your computer has a serial port). You'll also need a hardware programmer to replace the default bootloader with the Gamebuino one, although you can use another Arduino to do this. And if you want sound you'll of course need a speaker along with a resistor, drive transistor and flyback diode.
Myndale

Next

Return to General forum