How will the Gamebuino avoid the fate of the Hackvision ?

Talk about (almost) anything

Re: How will the Gamebuino avoid the fate of the Hackvision

Postby rodot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:30 pm

I would like to sincerely thank you all who participated in the Gamebuino adventure. Really. I know it sounds like I'm about to say "We had a good time, now it's over", but I won't. On the contrary. During the last few months I've been pretty, pretty busy. I was working full time and graduating a few degrees. Now I switched to a part time job. I graduated all my degrees. I'm ordering a new batch of Gamebuinos. Next month I'll move from my own room to a proper office. In a word, it's back on.

PS: Am I working on a Gamebuino 2 ? Not really. Maybe. It's classified.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby deeph » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:18 pm

Good news :)

I'd really love to see a Gamebuino 2, but with a hardware a little less restricting (like many people thinks), like an OLED screen (with a resolution just a little higher, like 96*64, and either black & white or native grayscale support). More RAM is really necessary too, currently I can't start big projects because I know that all I'll have to program just won't fit.

I think that you really should ask what people wants/needs in order to design the new Gamebuino ;)
deeph

Postby Drakker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Great to hear from you! Welcome back and congrats on the degrees.

PS. Dreaming of a 4 to 16 colors screen with the Arduboy manufacturing process, same form factor as the Gamebuino 1.
Drakker

Postby Zvoc47 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:45 pm

If more RAM is required, then ATMEGA2560 can have external RAM connected so that can serve as a framebuffer and extended heap! One guy made some code for 512kB SRAM multiheap access. The hardware he used is a latch register and a RAM chip http://andybrown.me.uk/2011/08/28/512kb ... ga-design/ To see this in the next Gamebuino would be awesome!

What I would like it to also have is the VS1053 chip to produce MIDI/MP3/WAV/WMA/OGG sound. That mixed with the AVR's multiple PWM pins will make some awesome chiptune music or chiptune sound effects while music plays in the background or some character voices.
Zvoc47

Postby superfreaky » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm

I think a Gamebuino 2 should be a step up in both hardware and complexity. People can start getting code experience with the original model, then use what they learned to gain new heights in game complexity. (messing with more colors, bigger longer games, maybe even a basic fps possible)
superfreaky

Postby Zvoc47 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:53 pm

I've heard of a FTDI graphics accellerator which might be a great idea for the Gamebuino 2. Imagine hardware-accellerated graphics!
What a coincidence, but GameDuino (not Gamebuino) uses that same chip! It uses FPGA, yes, but it uses the FTDI graphics chip too. So that might lead to higher resolutions and high colors.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... _FT800.pdf here's the datasheet.
Zvoc47

Postby vinnie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:18 am

rodot wrote:I would like to sincerely thank you all...[/size]

Thank you rodot for coming to give us your news, I believe that this is an very important thing!
When gamebuino will be back in stock, I'll buy one.

For gamebuino 2 I think that is most important to overcome the memory limitations!
vinnie

Postby deeph » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:25 am

Will you use an Arduino 101 as advised here : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3369 ?

superfreaky wrote:I think a Gamebuino 2 should be a step up in both hardware and complexity. People can start getting code experience with the original model, then use what they learned to gain new heights in game complexity.

That's my thoughts too, and that's why I'm alright to pay the Gamebuino 2 at least twice the price of the original.
deeph

Postby rodot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:36 am

deeph wrote:I think that you really should ask what people wants/needs in order to design the new Gamebuino ;)

I sure want to make Gamebuino better, but never said there would be a new Gamebuino. Or wouldn't ;)
Anyway, be sure I read and consider all your ideas, that's why I already made a poll that I planned to release on Facebook... but I see that you all have many good ideas to share so here's the poll in advance (if you have suggestions about the poll itself there's a free field at the end). Please, just don't spread it on the internet yet.
Again, sorry for the long absence and thank you all for your great enthusiasm :)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby vinnie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 am

Finally gamebuino is back in stock! \o/
As soon as I have some time I try to make order
@rodot: This is the same latest version or there are already changes?
vinnie

PreviousNext

Return to General forum