[ IDEA ] GameBuinoDevoloper

Modules, cases, buttons...

[ IDEA ] GameBuinoDevoloper

Postby tecnocroco » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi! I was wondering if it could be possible to create a gamebuino game maker, with all necessary to create a gamebuino game includin a visual room creator.

P.D.:R0d0t, there aren't more updates in your blog, why?

P.D2.: Help me finding grammar mistakes, im from Spain! :D
tecnocroco

Re: [ IDEA ] GameBuinoDevoloper

Postby Jolly » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Sure, it's possible. But it would be a lot of work to put something like this together.
I personally think it would be too much work for the Gamebuino with its limitations in space and power.

The Gamebuino is such a nice device to do a bit of easy programming or to start learning how to program.
I think a Game Maker would take some of that away.

But sure, it is possible if you are willing to put the effort into it. :)
Jolly

Postby Myndale » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:30 am

Jolly wrote:The Gamebuino is such a nice device to do a bit of easy programming or to start learning how to program. I think a Game Maker would take some of that away.

Ageed.

From a technical perspective the problem with Gamemaker-type software is that the underlying engine is provided as-is and the games themselves wind up being a collection of assets (images, sounds etc), data files and scripts. All of this takes RAM....something the Arduino architecture sorely lacks. That's not to say it couldn't be done, you could have your Gamemaker output C code which it would then compile with calls to gcc, but it wouldn't be quite as straightforward as it is for other architectures.
Myndale

Postby rodot » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:54 am

To answer your PS, I haven't posted anything on my personal blog because I no longer have free time for pet projects and photography, or at least not enough to make something that is worth publishing ^^
The main things I have been up to is keeping up with the Gamebuino orders, my studies, and my job :P I really hope to get more free time by February, the end of the semester (then I'll be doing an internship... no more classes, homework and finals, whoohoo \o/).
rodot
Site Admin

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:49 am

Myndale wrote:
Jolly wrote:The Gamebuino is such a nice device to do a bit of easy programming or to start learning how to program. I think a Game Maker would take some of that away.

Ageed.

From a technical perspective the problem with Gamemaker-type software is that the underlying engine is provided as-is and the games themselves wind up being a collection of assets (images, sounds etc), data files and scripts. All of this takes RAM....something the Arduino architecture sorely lacks. That's not to say it couldn't be done, you could have your Gamemaker output C code which it would then compile with calls to gcc, but it wouldn't be quite as straightforward as it is for other architectures.

Myndale, you pretty much nailed it. I've got Game Maker:Studio Pro. It compiles the code along with the stock engine, in a 2d game, you've got code to render to 3d. In a 3d game... you've got a tiny fraction of a 3d engine and have to do mesh animations by hand.... It's doable on a computer, but an Atmel chip? Not so much. Pre-Yo-Yo versions of Game maker used *interperated* code. That, ladies and gents, is SLOW.

What you COULD do, is make a GB-specfic IDE, with a lot of the handy tools built in, some handy code-wizards, and an emulator/music tracker/bitmap tool. That would work fine.
DFX2KX

Return to Hardware Development