Gamebuino screen flickering

Modules, cases, buttons...

Gamebuino screen flickering

Postby REGFly » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:28 pm

Watching videos on gamebuino i saw some kind flickering in the screen and i wanted to ask is it because of the sceen or the speed of gamebuino? Would i be able to put a ssd1306 128x64 if i was making a clone?
REGFly

Re: Gamebuino screen flickering

Postby Myndale » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:13 am

REGFly wrote:Watching videos on gamebuino i saw some kind flickering in the screen and i wanted to ask is it because of the sceen or the speed of gamebuino?

I'd have to see the videos you're talking about but generally speaking there's no flicker unless you're trying to do grey scale (which is something the LCD wasn't designed to do in the first place). In any case the Gamebuino doesn't drive the LCD refresh circuitry directly, in theory you could draw something and then disconnect Gamebuino altogether and the LCD would happily carry on displaying the image.

REGFly wrote:Would i be able to put a ssd1306 128x64 if i was making a clone?

Sure! It supports both SPI and i2C so I can't think why you wouldn't be able to use it. You would need to modify the Gamebuino library graphics code though, the SSD1306 command set is different to the PCD8544 that Gamebuino uses.
Myndale

Postby erico » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:56 am

While I´m a dumb on playing videos on gamebuino, I have a bit of experience on videos as we use them everyday.
Flickering could be a source problem, from video fps to the way fields gets converted. :?
erico

Postby REGFly » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:14 am

thanks guys. English isnt my first language so maybe the word i was looking for wasnt flickering but thanks. So if i put a screen like that it would still be compatible with previous code if i modified the library?
REGFly

Return to Hardware Development