Advanced Gamebuino prototype

Modules, cases, buttons...

Re: Advanced Gamebuino prototype

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:49 pm

The pins are bent that way so its as thin as possible and i can fit it inbetween two pieces of breadboard. The wires i soldered are for the spi. I know nothing about the parellel way to hook it up or how it works. I started out using jumpers but they kept falling off the pins so i went ahead and soldered the spi stuff plus the 3.3v and ground pins at the bottom for the screen.
Duhjoker

Postby rodot » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:52 am

You could have made a socket on a vera board using female header ? Because here if anything goes wrong you'll have to re-wire the whole thing on a new teensy :/
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Duhjoker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 am

Well according to my research it uses the same pinout as an uno or mini. The only pins I have wired are the SPI pins and I have a few alternates of those that I haven't wired, just in case.

How about a lil help with the Ted turnerazation of the draw bitmap and tilemap functions please!!!!
Duhjoker

Postby naed » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:55 pm

Hows your hardware project coming along?

Do you have any updated pics?
naed

Postby Duhjoker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:29 am

Its coming.....

I have everything wired i just neen to hook it up and see if it works. Thinking about moving up to a teensy 3.6. Its a lil longer due to the sd card but it has 1mb of flash to go with the 32-bit processor and i wont have to add another piece to the hardware.

Every thing should work though.
Duhjoker

Postby naed » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:20 am

Good good, nice to hear progress is being made on this and looking forward to seeing if you get this working with your custom library
naed

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:13 am

Ok I'm re-investigating a way to do bitmaps. I'm thinking if I can load the bitmaps (either full color or monochrome) from an SD I could I could save on Progmem which means building games that can take full advantage of the 32-bit processor.

I'm also thinking of buying an etching kit and try to prototype a board. The problem with the teensy and using it on a PCB is that I still have to be able to solder wires to the lil pads on the under side for the buttons. Plus you need the button to load the sketch.

I might be able to make some thing where I can drop Teensy in with pads on the other side where each button wire would connect to the board and to the PCB. If that makes sense to you. Then I could drill the hole that you could use to poke the button when flashing.

Any way........ I started playing with the hardware tonight and spent an hour trying to use the out to battery wires instead of the draw current wires on an adafruit power boost before I finally figured it out.

I've got the power soldered to the board. I connected the 3.3v to the same on the teensy and the 5v running to the teensy's 5v in and here's the weird thing though it's probably correct. I'm getting most definitely assured that the 3.3v is for contrast. If I connect the 3.3v to 5v it lights up nice and bright. If I connect it to 3.3v nothing happens til I add the 5v to the 5v in on the teensy. Then it comes on but not bright.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:23 am

All right guys I finished hooking every thing up but have not tested set up yet. It's a mess of wiring and I have no idea if I have it hooked up right. Most of it was pretty self explanatory though. Mosi goes to mosi, miso to miso, CS to CS, clk to SCK, etc. the two wires I'm worried about are rs and wr, I have them both on a CS pin.

Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:02 am

Ok so i upgraded to the teensy3.6 with its 1mb of progmem and sd card slot built in and i also decided to switch screens as well. I looked online and found another cheap but widely available 2.4 inch mcufriend st7789 or ili9341. The resolution has a whopping 320 x 240 pixels. Perfect for 16 bit graphics at 20 x 15 tiles.

The library includes a function called tft.pushcolors() that goes with a bitmap function to what i assume shows full color bitmaps. But im unsure where or how to store the bitmaps for the function.
Duhjoker

Postby naed » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm excited to see a working model of this
naed

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Development