Questions regarding fakebuinos...

Modules, cases, buttons...

Questions regarding fakebuinos...

Postby spinal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Those of you who have made them using arduino nano's, do they work 1:1 as an original? That is, will they load pre-compiled .hex files or do you have to recompile the source using different libraries?

Thanks.
spinal

Re: Questions regarding fakebuinos...

Postby rodot » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 am

Hey,

It's the same chip, so as long as you use the same pinout the hex files will be compatible ;)
There is a specific bootloader if you want to be able to switch between games from the SD card, but it's not mandatory.

It won't be a problem for you but it might be interesting to others : some people had problem using the DIP version of the atmega328 because there are less analog pins broken out, so you won't have battery level. But the last version of the library allows you to bypass the "low battery" alerts.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby spinal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 am

Good to know.
I'm currently having problems with the 5110 screen though, can anyone tell me if the following connections are correct for a nano-gamebuino?

1 RST --> A0
2 CE ---> A1
3 DC ---> A2
4 DIN --> MISO (D11)
5 CLK --> SCK (D13)
6 VCC --> 3.3v
7 BL ----> 3.3v (yes I know, should be D5)
8 GND --> GND

I'm currently getting nothing from the screen, although knowing the LED's work is nice :-)
spinal

Postby spinal » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:28 am

Got the screen sorted, but I can't get the nano to run from a couple of AAA batteries.
I would expect giving the nano 3.5ish volts through the 5v line would be enough to power everything, but apparently not. Anyone got any ideas?
spinal

Postby rodot » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:06 pm

The nano should run at 3V3 just like the Gamebuino does.
Did you try to power the nano alone and simply blink a LED ? No screen, no sound, nothing else ?
Maybe it comes from the lack of voltage regulation, but batteries should be pretty stable though. It might be worth it to try powering it from a regulated 3.3V.
The FT232RL won't run on 3.3V though, so you won't be able tu upload programs with the battery power only.
And be careful, don't plug the USB and the batteries at the same time.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby spinal » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:16 pm

Forgot to update the post. I got it working. Gave up on using 2xAAA batteries and tried with 4, giving me 4.8v(ish) from rechargables.
spinal

Postby rodot » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Oh, good news ! Be careful as some components are not 5V tolerant, like the screen or the micro SD card.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby spinal » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Yeah, that's causing me a little confusion, I'm currently using both the screen without any voltage lowering on the i/o and they're working fine. I did try lowering the screen to 3v with resistors but it just refused to work. I don't know if my nano clone is irregular in some way, but i' powering with nearly 5v from batteries OR 5v from USB, then the vcc on the screen and sd card are both coming from the 3.3v. I was sure all of the i/o was supposed to be 5v, but it's reading the SD card just fine and the screen seems to be doing ok also.
spinal

Postby rodot » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:28 pm

It might be working but it's out of specs both for the screen and the micro SD so I wouldn't bet they will last forever.
Theoretically you should power them using a voltage regulator (simple resistors won't do as the current drawn varies), and level shifters for the IO (you can use voltage dividers there to go from 5V to 3V3 there).
Anyway, if it works don't fix it :P
rodot
Site Admin

Return to Hardware Development