Bought ESP32 and need help

Modules, cases, buttons...

Bought ESP32 and need help

Postby Zvoc47 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:53 am

So I bought and received this ESP-WROOM-32 board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-32S-ESP32-D ... 3023065174

I tried it out. I used FireBeetle board in Arduino IDE and I uploaded a WiFiScan example to see if the board is working. It works, but the metal casing becomes hot! I don't know is this because I haven't removed the board from the little sponge that I got so there could be some shortings or is it because of the board's unoptimized power consumption.

Also, I'm not sure if this is called FireBeetle or is it another board in question. I can't find its name on eBay or on the Arduino board list. Does anyone have any idea?

Other than that, someone said that they'll make a library for the ILI9341 display that I also bought and received. I'd like them to reply to this post because I cannot send private messages for some reason. I would like to start working with this now. Has anyone tried interfacing an ESP32 with this display? What are the schematics? What code was used?
Zvoc47

Re: Bought ESP32 and need help

Postby awesome101 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:39 am

Duhjoker made his library for the ESP32 that's pretty good (https://github.com/Duhjoker/GameR-Iot_ESP). I'm using the Teensy 3.6 so I cant really help you here
awesome101

Postby Zvoc47 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 pm

Could you please send him a message to give me some contact info since we can't talk over PMs as I'm unable to send PMs so that we can talk about this outside of this forum?
Zvoc47

Postby awesome101 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:26 am

Here is his email which you can contact him with. GameRiotadvancedgaming@yahoo.com. he is also frequently active on the PJRC forum so you can contact him there too. There is a GameRIot Facebook page as well
awesome101

Postby Duhjoker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Hey. Guys

You can email me or private Message me through here at any time. I usually answer all emails as soon as I can.

The esp32 library works just fine. I had a lot of help from pjrc to get it going. I still need to update a couple things like the invisible pixels but it works and quite fast.

As far as your board is cncerned....

Which esp32 board did you buy? I use the EZSBC version. The reason why being partly due to the pins not being soldered. This makes it easier for me to compress the hardware in my case.

Not familiar with fire beetle but you should be using one of the ESP32 boards in arduino hardware list.

How are you powering the board? You shouldn't use any thing over 3.7v to power it or it will get warm and possibly cause damage.
Duhjoker

Postby Zvoc47 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm powering the ESP32 board with a USB cable. The ESP32 board I have is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-32S-ESP32-D ... 3023065174 I'm not sure how it's called, but that's what it is on eBay. Can you help me choose the correct name in the boards manager?
Zvoc47

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Ok what you got is the standard ESP32 dev board. Try using ESP32 dev module.

I had a hard time with my first ESP32 as well and ended up breaking the micro USB trying to flash it with a graphics test because I was having the same problem. Come to find put my cable was bad. I bought a new cable and board and it worked just fine.

Try checking your cable as well by flashing a known working board to make sure all is good. This is the module I bought.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Any luck?
Duhjoker

Postby Zvoc47 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:48 pm

I didn't get a cable, but used one from my phone charger. The metal casing is warm and there's nothing shorting the pins. I now used ESP32 Dev Module and it works when I compile the WiFiScan sketch. Now, is the pinout for that board different than the pinout which is said in your tutorial for connecting the board. Is the tutorial referring to the digital pin numbers or the board pin numbers? And how do I install this library of yours?
Zvoc47

Postby Duhjoker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Ok for the library you will just want simply drop it into your arduino folder that lies in your documents.

ESP wiring should be same as in my tutorial. I'm using a different board but the pinouts are equal. I used the standard way to hook up the TFT. You might need to do a couple google searches for pinout of the esp32 to get it wired properly. Or at least I did.
Duhjoker

Next

Return to Hardware Development