gamebuino mega

Modules, cases, buttons...

Re: gamebuino mega

Postby DFX2KX » Wed May 21, 2014 8:12 pm

adekto wrote:
DFX2KX wrote:@Jconnection
Really, that's kinda dumb, and sad. understandable, but sad. The arduino group does not do this.

not sure to what ur refering to, but isn't arduino on arm and some intel atom thing as well?

You're talking about the Galileo, or yun. That's true, but to my knowledge neither actively prevents clones. I could be wrong, here.
DFX2KX

Postby rodot » Wed May 21, 2014 8:20 pm

As you can see on the LPC11U24 mbed module (here), there is a misterious "MBED-IF01" chip. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the chip which programs the microcontroller. Also, mbed has an online compiler, so you can't access the sources. This way you can only use official mbed hardware to program with mbed.

We could use the Arduino Due's M0, but it's way more expensive (>10$).

Anyway, I think there is already far enough work with Gamebuino 1, without including the extension modules development :lol:
rodot
Site Admin

Postby jonnection » Wed May 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Mbed WAS locked in the beginning around 1-2 yrs to protect the project from blatant copying.

But that's not entirely the case anymore. You can use the mbed libraries with any kind of compatible device, if you write or have a BSP (board support package) for it.

The online compiler is quite nice, but you do not have to use it any more.

https://mbed.org/handbook/Exporting-to-offline-toolchains

And if I'm not mistaken, the mbed platforms from other providers do not have any mysterious chips

for example

https://mbed.org/platforms/DipCortex-M0/
jonnection

Postby rodot » Thu May 22, 2014 6:20 am

Dammit, I even planned to buy a DipCortex M0 few month ago, because it doesn't have the "misterious chip"... I just forgot about it since then, shame on me :oops:

I shouldn't come back on this topic or I'll get too exited and start to compulsively buy dozens of cortex M0 and OLED display :lol:
rodot
Site Admin

Postby jonnection » Thu May 22, 2014 6:30 pm

rodot wrote: I shouldn't come back on this topic or I'll get too exited and start to compulsively buy dozens of cortex M0 and OLED display :lol:

Totally agree. You just keep on with the Gamebuino Mr Rodot, you have still lots to do :evil:. Let's not forget, that the Gamebuino has really unique features that have not yet been tested at all. The SD card is a really interesting possibility, and so is multiplayer via i2c. I just received 2 SDcard breakouts today from China and I will begin making my own Gamebuinos.

I also began porting the Gamebuino library to SFML so that i can develop graphics routines on the pc. Will take a couple of days, perhaps more. You have done some funky stuff with macros (flashstring, PSTR etc) that are only in the avr libs and its actually much harder to port than the TVout lib.
jonnection

Postby DFX2KX » Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 pm

rodot wrote:Dammit, I even planned to buy a DipCortex M0 few month ago, because it doesn't have the "misterious chip"... I just forgot about it since then, shame on me :oops:

I shouldn't come back on this topic or I'll get too exited and start to compulsively buy dozens of cortex M0 and OLED display :lol:

That's best left down the road, agreed. After the GB has been out a year or two, maybe... (who knows what microcontrollers might be around by then) Also, the limitations are part of the charm, in Gamebuino's case.
DFX2KX

Postby HTel » Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 am

albertinjo wrote:256 KB of flash memory and 8 KB of SRAM sounds nice.

Wow, what was the flash memory before. 1. I think that a gamebuino is about having fun with a portable console, while still having a decent challenge with coding. 2.Why does the gamebuino need 256 KB of flash, Alien Killer is 37 KB, no? 37x5=185, not even close!!! But anyway I can see it being made(maybe), do you really think R0d0t, in his factory in the future... mass producing gamebuino by 10,000 this time... he might come up with a better module when he is older, I'm just exited for colour. Why, because I would like to make a browser, reads html.The screen would be black!
HTel

Postby DFX2KX » Sat May 31, 2014 5:58 pm

HTel wrote:

Wow, what was the flash memory before. 1. I think that a gamebuino is about having fun with a portable console, while still having a decent challenge with coding. 2.Why does the gamebuino need 256 KB of flash, Alien Killer is 37 KB, no? 37x5=185, not even close!!! But anyway I can see it being made(maybe), do you really think R0d0t, in his factory in the future... mass producing gamebuino by 10,000 this time... he might come up with a better module when he is older, I'm just exited for colour. Why, because I would like to make a browser, reads html.The screen would be black!

with the current model, the Gamebuino has 2k of SRAM and a 32k flash ROM. The reason folks would want more power would be to go with a color screen, because it increases the amount of resources required. the Atmega processor also lacks a floating-point unit, which is a big deal. It's still a rather niche device, so orders in the 10,000 range might be a bit optimistic :P
DFX2KX

Postby adekto » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:06 am

HTel wrote:

nobody is stoping you from making a browser on gamebuino, even with the limitations of the hardware
may need to improvize on some parts
adekto

Postby rodot » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:11 pm

I'm back on the Gamebuino Mega thread !

I start to think about a Gamebuino sequel, as it will take at least a year to go from the idea to the finished version (I will work on it during my free time so it won't be super duper fast).

Anyway, if you have any random suggestion, don't hesitate to share ! I won't tell my ideas so far not to influence you ;)
What would you like to see in a Gamebuino Mega ? What price should it be ?
rodot
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Development