Gamebuino clones what-if question

Modules, cases, buttons...

Re: Gamebuino clones what-if question

Postby DFX2KX » Fri May 30, 2014 8:21 pm

rodot wrote:@DFX2KX: The extension modules will do all you need ;)

Exactly my thoughts, which is why, if I wanted a gamebuino-with-sprinkles, the 'sprinkles' would just be extension modules hardwired to the board for convenience.

As for a through hole version. I'd likely buy a board or two, gotta have an excuse to learn how to solder the right way.
DFX2KX

Postby TheTurnipKing » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Simple answer: Make the Gamebuino available not just as a finished product, but also a kit to build.

Tinkering around the edges of the hardware is at least half of the most rewarding thing you can do with the system.
TheTurnipKing

Postby rodot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:38 pm

TheTurnipKing wrote:Simple answer: Make the Gamebuino available not just as a finished product, but also a kit to build.

Why not, but there is a failure rate during assembly, that's why I assemble and test them all. I can't test it if I don't assemble it before, so you might get one with a defective USB port, screen, battery or something. I'll think about how to overcome that issue.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby TheTurnipKing » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:09 pm

rodot wrote:Why not, but there is a failure rate during assembly, that's why I assemble and test them all. I can't test it if I don't assemble it before, so you might get one with a defective USB port, screen, battery or something. I'll think about how to overcome that issue.

I think it's safe to assume that anyone wanting to kit-assemble the Gamebuino will find that half of the point. If you just want hardware that works to tinker with the software, then you'd buy the assembled system.

The cheapness of the components is part of the appeal. If you mess something up, or you get a defective part, it's unlikely to break the bank to source an replacement or an alternative.
TheTurnipKing

Postby rodot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah but I'm affraid people will ask refunds or free replacement parts if they can't manage to get it to work :/
rodot
Site Admin

Postby TheTurnipKing » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:47 am

WARNING: This item is an electronic kit, and as such requires assembly with a soldering iron (not included). Not suitable for under 18's.

If you have any doubts about your ability to assemble this kit, please order a pre-assembled Gamebuino.

Or something to that effect.

Otherwise, offer to replace any faulty components that weren't obviously caused by cack-handed bodging.
TheTurnipKing

Postby espontaneo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm working on something similar as an electronics/programming project for kids/teenagers in libraries.

After I saw the cost of this http://www.techwillsaveus.com/shop/diy-kits/diy-gamer-kit-arduino/ which is a lovely kit bit far too expensive to give away to the kids who build them. This lead me to look at cheap parts from china and realised I could probably build something much more versatile for nothing. In the end though the simplest method would be to clone the gamebuino. So I'm experimenting with this myself.

If you could make larger socket mount kits there would be a market for them in the education sector. If I could buy kits for say £15-25 (net) we'd be all over it (we actually have grant funding to do this coming up).

anyway, just a thought!
espontaneo

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:04 pm

espontaneo wrote:I'm working on something similar as an electronics/programming project for kids/teenagers in libraries.

After I saw the cost of this http://www.techwillsaveus.com/shop/diy-kits/diy-gamer-kit-arduino/ which is a lovely kit bit far too expensive to give away to the kids who build them. This lead me to look at cheap parts from china and realised I could probably build something much more versatile for nothing. In the end though the simplest method would be to clone the gamebuino. So I'm experimenting with this myself.

If you could make larger socket mount kits there would be a market for them in the education sector. If I could buy kits for say £15-25 (net) we'd be all over it (we actually have grant funding to do this coming up).

anyway, just a thought!

Awesome idea. However, if you're going to be sourcing from China, the one thing you really DON'T want to get there is the GB's FTDI chip. The fakes can get wrecked with some of the newer drivers around. The real deal is like $4 US though :\
DFX2KX

Previous

Return to Hardware Development