New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Postby Myndale » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 am

No, it happens instantly. Adding throttling would be easy enough, I just didn't bother putting it in since I don't know what the actual speeds are and they'd vary considerably between different manufacturers.

Don't quote me on this but I'm guessing the real-time speed wouldn't be too different anyway, the majority of time is spent streaming 512-byte blocks across the SPI bus which is already being throttle back for the sake of the slow LCD displays. Anyone doing time-critical SD streaming might want to take this into account, I don't see why you couldn't set SPI back to full-speed for SD transfers.

Rodot, have you done any tests with the SD cards running at full speed?
Myndale

Postby Muessigb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks for adding SD. But could you please provide a standalone version of the programm (w/o installer).
I know you can patch it to be usable w/o one (and in fact i did for myself with the last version) but i think it would be handy for anyone.
Muessigb

Postby DFX2KX » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:43 am

Muessigb wrote:Thanks for adding SD. But could you please provide a standalone version of the programm (w/o installer).
I know you can patch it to be usable w/o one (and in fact i did for myself with the last version) but i think it would be handy for anyone.

I can back that, the installer is... a touch messy, it seems. Though Simbuino itself is a very useful program (though it and my dark windows skin don't get along, lol)
DFX2KX

Postby cyberic » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 am

Myndale wrote:Cyberic if you (or anyone else for that matter) want to have a hand in the design of the app or be involved in the development and testing then pls msg me. I've got the technical ability to develop it but my composition skills are non-existent. I've already developed the underlying architecture and now it's time to work on the front-end, which I'm basically trying to piece together from trackers I played with in the mid-90s. Could definitely use some help in that regard...

Hello again, Myndale.
I've got no news...
did you get my PM?
Thx
cyberic

Postby Myndale » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 pm

[quote="cyberic"I've got no news... did you get my PM?[/quote]

Strange, I thought I emailed you. I'll go check and mail you again, thanks!
Myndale

Postby rodot » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:36 am

I've been using Simbuino a lot the past two days, it's really a great tool for development.

A few bugs I stumbled upon :
When Ctrl+U is used to upload instead of clicking in the menu, it doesn't seem to refresh the COM port list, so if you just plugged your Gamebuino it won't work, your have to do it through the menu once first.
It doesn't close the port once the upload is complete so you have to close Simbuino to be able to upload using Arduino for example.
The application stops working pretty often when re-loading a game using Ctrl+F5, and sometimes when opening a .hex file. Is there a log I could share to help ?
I don't know if you did it on purpose, but when you reload the hex file with Ctlr+F5, the Gamebuino it muted. Pretty handy to avoid the annoying startup sound :P

It's really a great tool, thanks again Myndale :)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Myndale » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks for these bug reports Rodot, it makes development a lot easier for me.

rodot wrote:When Ctrl+U is used to upload instead of clicking in the menu, it doesn't seem to refresh the COM port list, so if you just plugged your Gamebuino it won't work, your have to do it through the menu once first.

This sounds like new one, thx. I'll investigate it over the weekend

rodot wrote:The application stops working pretty often when re-loading a game using Ctrl+F5, and sometimes when opening a .hex file.

I've been trying to track this down for weeks and it appears to be a bug in the windowing library I'm using. As much as I'd like to keep it I think I'm going to have to ditch it. Unfortunately this will mean that the window layout will have to remain fixed, at least until I find an alternative.

rodot wrote:I don't know if you did it on purpose, but when you reload the hex file with Ctlr+F5, the Gamebuino it muted.

This will be fixed in the next version I upload. I was forgetting to reset the registers that the buttons are connected to, so the emulator effectively thought they were all being pressed after a reset. The boot loader support isn't in yet so the game is still being launched but then your library sees that the B button is pressed and it mutes the sound.

Thanks again, I'll do another upload tomorrow and post here.
Myndale

Postby Jamish » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:19 am

One bug I've noticed:

It seems like the EEPROM window isn't showing all of the EEPROM. I wrote the following code to put sequential values in all the EEPROM slots:

Code: Select all
uint8_t byte = 0;
    for (int i = 0; i < 1024; i++) {
        EEPROM.write(i, byte);
        byte++;
    }

And confirmed that it worked in the emulator with
Code: Select all
    for (int i = 0; i < 1024; i++) {
        Serial.println(EEPROM.read(i));
    }

which printed 0-255 four times (for the full 1024 bytes of the EEPROM).

But, looking at the ouput window, it looks like the values don't quite make sense. I thought the addresses would increase left-right, top-bottom like they do in the SRAM window.

It looks like you're losing the last 4 bits of the address when displaying them. That is, for the row that's "0x0210", the addresses are 0x0210, 0x0211, 0x0212, etc. but you're losing the last hex digit and are printing the addresses 0x0021, 0x0021, 0x0021, etc. for the entire row.

Also, this is a nice-to-have, but since the Arduino site says it takes 3.3 ms to write an EEPROM byte, could you add that delay to the emulator?
Jamish

Postby Myndale » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:27 am

Thx Jamish, by coincidence I discovered and fixed the EEPROM display bug last week so it'll appear on the next version as well.
Myndale

Postby Jamish » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:29 am

Myndale wrote:Thx Jamish, by coincidence I discovered and fixed the EEPROM display bug last week so it'll appear on the next version as well.

I prefer to think that you have the power to read minds in the future.

Keep up the fantastic job!
Jamish

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development