New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Postby cyberic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:51 am

Myndale wrote:Simbuino is going on the back-burner for a little while as I finish off a project I've been promising Rodot for the past couple of months, but in the mean time all feedback and bug reports etc are appreciated as always.

What is your project about?
cyberic

Postby rodot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:55 am

It's something your will really like Cyberic, it's a Gamebuino Composer :D
For those who don't know, Cyberic is one of the two members of The Other Days, the chiptune group who made the music the the "Music.ino" example, and helped me lay out how patterns, instruments and whatnot are organized.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby cyberic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:27 am

héhé, I knew it would be something like this ;-)
Great!
cyberic

Postby Myndale » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:36 am

Cyberic if you (or anyone else for that matter) want to have a hand in the design of the app or be involved in the development and testing then pls msg me. I've got the technical ability to develop it but my composition skills are non-existent. I've already developed the underlying architecture and now it's time to work on the front-end, which I'm basically trying to piece together from trackers I played with in the mid-90s. Could definitely use some help in that regard...
Myndale

Postby cyberic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 am

Of course, we'd like to help you with the frontend and the composition!

Even if we used several trackers, LSDJ, for gameboy, is the tracker we know and use the most.
The gameboy has a tiny screen and only 4 buttons, and yet LSDJ is easy enough to learn.

So I think it is a great source of inspiration.

I PM you.
cyberic

Postby Jamish » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:13 pm

rodot wrote:It's something your will really like Cyberic, it's a Gamebuino Composer :D

You have no idea how happy that makes me :D I've composed a few MIDI tracks for games but have been dreading their implementation. Will it support loading and saving the tracks?
Jamish

Postby Myndale » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 am

Jamish wrote:Will it support loading and saving the tracks?

Absolutely! File format is XML so you can hand-tweak it or write your own utilities. (I'll open up a dedicated thread for it later on today.)
Myndale

Postby Jamish » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Myndale wrote:Well that was a lot easier than I thought it would be, Simbuino now supports SD Card emulation. It's currently read-only, and I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to be working well. Download link is the same as usual, thx again to Drakker for the suggestion of using IMG files.

Do you know if this supports the petit_fatfs library? I couldn't get my own code or their example sketch running in the emulator, but the LOADER.HEX (which uses tinyFAT) worked fine with my SD card image. I wonder if some pins are different...
Jamish

Postby Myndale » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Jamish wrote:Do you know if this supports the petit_fatfs library? I couldn't get my own code or their example sketch running in the emulator, but the LOADER.HEX (which uses tinyFAT) worked fine with my SD card image. I wonder if some pins are different...

I've only tested it against the standard SD library. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll test against petit_fatfs when I get the chance.
Myndale

Postby Jamish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Myndale wrote:I've only tested it against the standard SD library. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll test against petit_fatfs when I get the chance.

I poked around a bit yesterday and all the pins seem to be the same between the two, so I'm not sure.

Does it also emulate the SD card read speeds, or does it happen instantly? (I understand that's a very complicated task as every SD card is different, especially considering that SD cards serve up data in sectors, and the next time you access the same sector it's faster, etc.)
Jamish

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development