New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Postby treflip » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 am

Yes, this is awesome. Thanks for making it open source Myndale!
treflip

Postby tsl » Mon May 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi, I can confirm. Emulator cracks as hell when number of cycles drop below 16mln. I have often values around 13-14mln. And I can here interferences from volume up/volume down buttons.
You can here it under this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg0vwaokkv9tg ... s.wav?dl=0 (it's 45 sec. WAV).
Continuous cracks are from volume up/down, more unpleasant glitches (e.g. in game) are when cycles drops below 16mln.
Glitches/cracks start after F5 and stop after ESC.
tsl

Postby Grahack » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:23 am

Hi, I downloaded 1.0.0.19 and executed the setup.exe file.
THere is a small "verifying" window, then a prompt like "Publisher cannot be verified" where you have to confirm.
But then, you can't decide where to install.
So far, so good.

But then, the sim doesn't launch. a search on the computer found some appcrash dirs.

I can provide some more info if needed.

EDIT: like it was on a Surface/Win8. Things are OK with Win7 on a laptop.

Thanks.
Grahack

Postby Sorunome » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:03 pm

How does this work? I tried downloading the zip and running the setup.exe.
The only place i could find the install was in the start menu under programs, running that did.......nothing
All i was able to do is uninstall again!

EDIT: When running the exe over the cmd it just exits without any output.
Sorunome

Postby Clifford » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Sorunome wrote:The only place i could find the install was in the start menu under programs, running that did.......nothing

Grahack wrote:But then, the sim doesn't launch. a search on the computer found some appcrash dirs.

Same problem here on Windows 8.1; given the proximity of these two issues perhaps a recent Windows update has broken it?

I'm trying to get my son started on this, and this is frustrating.
Clifford

Postby Clifford » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Grahack wrote:But then, you can't decide where to install.

.NET deployments do not always install like traditional apps.
Clifford

Postby Myndale » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:43 pm

Sorry to hear about the install problems you've been having, not quite sure what's going on there. I've just pushed a standalone build to the Simbuino binaries folder, you might have better luck with that:

https://github.com/Myndale/Simbuino/raw/master/binaries/Simbuino-Standalone.zip

For this to work you will need to have .NET 4.5 installed, you can download it from the Microsoft site:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=30653
Myndale

Postby Clifford » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Myndale wrote:Sorry to hear about the install problems you've been having, not quite sure what's going on there. I've just pushed a standalone build to the Simbuino binaries folder, you might have better luck with that:

https://github.com/Myndale/Simbuino/raw/master/binaries/Simbuino-Standalone.zip

No luck with that I'm afraid - the same thing happens. In Task Manager, the process appears briefly then disappears. On the command line, the line is accepted, but the prompt returns immediately with no messages.

I have downloaded the source and was going to try in in the debugger - but the library dependencies are not included in the package, and I have not yet had time to sort it all out. Will report back when I have made some progress.
Clifford

Postby Clifford » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:34 am

Clifford wrote:I have downloaded the source and was going to try in in the debugger - but the library dependencies are not included in the package, and I have not yet had time to sort it all out. Will report back when I have made some progress.

Trying to gather all the depenencies but http://www.fmsware.com/stuff/gif.html mentioned in readme.txt is a broken link.
Clifford

Postby Clifford » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:13 am

Clifford wrote:I have downloaded the source and was going to try in in the debugger - but the library dependencies are not included in the package, and I have not yet had time to sort it all out. Will report back when I have made some progress.

OK - got it now. I am not a frequent C#/.NET developer and all the NuGet stuff is new to me. When the code is executed in the debugger it immediately halts on unhanded exception:
An exception of type 'System.TypeInitializationException' occurred in Simbuino.UI.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: The type initializer for 'Simbuino.UI.Audio.AudioPlayer' threw an exception.

at ..\Simbuino-master\src\Simbuino.UI\Main\MainWindowViewModel.cs Line 228:

Code: Select all
         AudioPlayer.Filtered = Simbuino.UI.Properties.Settings.Default.AudioFiltered;

As a quick hack, I simply commented out that line and the application starts-up at least - but only in the debugger, it still does not run directly from the executable.

I did have to disable ClickOnce manifest signing to get to to build, and disable security debugging to get it to run in the debugger (Visual Studio 2013 Express Edition). Is this perhaps a Windows 8.1 security issue? Though if that were the case I'd expect some sort of message.

Using the simulator running in the debugger I loaded a sample hex-file (https://github.com/Rodot/Gamebuino-Game ... D-DEMO.HEX) and ran it, and got:
An exception of type 'System.TypeInitializationException' occurred in Simbuino.UI.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: The type initializer for 'Simbuino.UI.Audio.AudioPlayer' threw an exception.

this time at Simulation.cs Line 558:
Code: Select all
                  AudioPlayer.Start();

Something not quite right with AudioPlayer perhaps?
Clifford

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development