New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Postby Myndale » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Muessigb wrote:How about implementing plugins (very easy on .NET) to e.g. allow to simulate different I²C devices.

Definitely something I'd be happy to implement if there was interest. I'd probably use the MEF plugin architecture though, I've used it to implement plugin support in a number of commercial projects I've worked on in the past and it's very easy to use. Plays nicely with WPF/MVVM too, which is what Simbuino uses.
Myndale

Postby Myndale » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:07 am

A new version of Simbuino is available for download. I've spent the past week rewriting the sound code from scratch to use the SharpDX library in preparation for migrating the whole thing over to the tracker project. I've also re-balanced the threading and made various other improvements to stability and timing e.g. replacing cycle-hungry loops with sleeps. In addition to fixing the sporadic control-f5 crash bug it resulted in the simulation code running a whopping 2.5 times faster(!). Finally there's a new "Filter" option in audio settings which throws a simple low-pass filter over the output stream in an effort to make it sound a bit more like the real thing.

The installer problems some people are seeing might be due to .NET requiring that installations be done from the same location each time (no idea why, I'll look into it). If it keeps making you uninstall first then try doing that, and try running as administrator. Also what do people think about making the installer automatically check for online updates? Convenient or too intrusive?

Latest version available at the usual location, enjoy!
Myndale

Postby Drakker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:54 am

Automatic updates? I'd say incredibly convenient. Since your code is closed source, you could be as intrusive as you'd like and we'd probably never know anyway. This means the only thing left is convenience, which would be quite welcome.
Drakker

Postby cyberic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Myndale wrote:Also what do people think about making the installer automatically check for online updates? Convenient or too intrusive?

I think there could be a popup or a small icon somewher, telling that there is a new version.
The best installer would be... no installer at all, it possible.
Just unzip, overwrite the files, and run!

About the tracker, will it be windows-based?
cyberic

Postby jprules10 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:17 am

Great i use it! :D
but it crashes alot
jprules10

Postby Myndale » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:20 am

cyberic wrote:The best installer would be... no installer at all, it possible.

I'll look into this further and see if there's a way for a standalone app to automate the .NET download if it isn't present, or at least throw an error msg or something. It's a bit tricky because if you try to run a .NET app and .NET isn't installed then the program doesn't even start so you can't display an error.

cyberic wrote:About the tracker, will it be windows-based?

'Fraid so. And for the same reason as Simbuino: it saves a huge amount of development time.
Myndale

Postby Myndale » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:22 am

jprules10 wrote:Great i use it! :D but it crashes alot

Heya jprules10, would you mind elaborating on this a bit for me? Is it just the control-f5 crash or is it crashing in other places as well? If so where? And how about the new version with the overhauled sound engine, same problem?
Myndale

Postby Myndale » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:03 am

Another version of Simbuino released today, this one contains read support for the petit_fatfs and the standard SD card libraries (previously only tinyfat was supported).
Myndale

Postby erico » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:07 am

Great advancement! :)
erico

Postby Myndale » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:15 am

[Continuing discussion with treflip started in another thread over problem running in Win8.1....]

treflip would you mind running Simbuino after you've installed it and then looking in your event log? To check the event log press the windows key, type "event" into the search bar, select "View event logs" and then select Windows Logs -> Application on the left. If Simbuino is crashing on launch then you should see a couple of Errors along with a bunch of Information entries, if you post the error logs here it will probably give a clue as to what's going on.
Myndale

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development