New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Postby superfreaky » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:10 pm

When I use the program and run a game, I get audio, but no video. The computer I'm running this on is a 2.0 ghz dual core i3, but it should still run properly, right?
superfreaky

Postby childishbeat » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:23 am

I believe users of Simbuino should be able to adjust the keys for the controls because some users of the emulator may not be comfortable with the preset key layout that can't be changed at the moment. Also, it should add support for .elf files, like gbsim by denith has. If those features were added, the emulator would be perfect.
childishbeat

Postby Myndale » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:55 am

superfreaky wrote:When I use the program and run a game, I get audio, but no video. The computer I'm running this on is a 2.0 ghz dual core i3, but it should still run properly, right?

That should run fine. Simbuino uses WPF for graphics which in turn uses DirectX under the hood, so my recommendation would be to make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date and to maybe install the latest version of DirectX runtime which you can download from the Microsoft site. If that still doesn't fix it then it's most likely a result of an exception occurring in the draw routine, checking the Windows event log might reveal the problem. If that doesn't help then your best bet would be to install Visual Studio and run Simbuino from the debugger.
Myndale

Postby Myndale » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:05 am

childishbeat wrote:I believe users of Simbuino should be able to adjust the keys for the controls because some users of the emulator may not be comfortable with the preset key layout that can't be changed at the moment.

This is already supported, from the menu select Simulation -> Settings -> Input.

childishbeat wrote:Also, it should add support for .elf files, like gbsim by denith has. If those features were added, the emulator would be perfect.

What would be the benefit of this My original reason to support HEX was because that is the format that games are distributed in. The only way you'd have an ELF file is if you were compiling locally in which case you'd have a HEX as well, so I couldn't really see the point of bothering to support it. (That said, ELF support will be needed if I ever plan to add source debugging).
Myndale

Postby blakewford » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:58 pm

If you are interested in adding source debugging you could start by looking at a piece of the BoardMicro code.
https://github.com/blakewford/boardmicr ... elfcore.js. I'd really like to see a full speed Arduino game system emulator with this ability.

It's not terribly complicated, but at least you would not have to start from scratch. Within my code, when presented with and ELF file I convert the binary portion to HEX internally and run it as normal. There is basic support for the Call Stack and Source Debugging with Breakpoints in the HTML version.
blakewford

Postby babadu83510 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 pm

That's a shame you don't support linux...
babadu83510

Postby Wojtek » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:27 am

Hi all,
My system : Windows 10 Pro 64 bit / laptop Dell M6700
After installation Simbuino GUI not open.
Any suggestions?
Wojtek

Postby Wojtek » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:31 am

Solved like in this post viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1028&start=120
Wojtek

Previous

Return to Software Development