Switch to full style
Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...
Post a reply

Re: New emulator: Simbuino (Windows)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:01 am

Myndale wrote: I'm going to keep putting occasional work in this project but for the time being I'll be turning my attention back exclusively to graphics optimization...

Are you planning to optimize the Gamebuino lib core gfx routines as well ?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:05 am

jonnection wrote:Are you planning to optimize the Gamebuino lib core gfx routines as well ?

Some of them, yes. It's one of the reasons I've been wanting to get the emulator to a workable state, with an embedded debugger and breakpoints it's possible to profile functions down to the clock cycle!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 am

Just a quick update...I've added an animated gif capture feature to the latest version of Simbuino, this should hopefully make it a bit easier for people to make tear-free animations of their titles for the games download page:

greyscale.gif
greyscale.gif (715.58 KiB) Viewed 274350 times

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:28 am

Awesome, once again!

Suggestion: a keyboard shortcut to start/stop the recording and a blinking red dot when recording?

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:35 am

rodot wrote:Suggestion: a keyboard shortcut to start/stop the recording and a blinking red dot when recording?

Excellent suggestion, I'll get right on it! :)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for taking my suggestion into account. Here is another one (haha sorry)

I noticed that if I save your gif with 3 indexed colors with no transparency the file size drops from 715KB to 300KB. It would be useful for the games gallery page to load faster, and it might just be one line of code to edit on your side.

Original, 256 colors
original.gif
original.gif (715.58 KiB) Viewed 274337 times

3 colors, no transparency
indexed.gif
indexed.gif (299.83 KiB) Viewed 274337 times

PS: there is a star which doesn't move in the sky?

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:18 pm

rodot wrote:I noticed that if I save your gif with 3 indexed colors with no transparency the file size drops from 715KB to 300KB. It would be useful for the games gallery page to load faster, and it might just be one line of code to edit on your side.

Thanks for the tip! And yeah, that's a very easy change to make.

rodot wrote:PS: there is a star which doesn't move in the sky?

Man, that pixel has been bugging the CRAP out of me for the past 24 hours! :lol: Must be a bug in the original demo because it appears on the hardware as well...at least it shows the emulator is working properly!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Wait, no, I know exactly what that is. I wanted the bar at the top to be stationary so I'm not scrolling the first byte in every column i.e. the top 8 pixels. That star pixel is much harder to spot on the Gamebuino hardware so I obviously just didn't notice there was one in those top 8 rows. I'll have to go remove it from the background image now. :D

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:13 pm

rodot wrote:Thanks for taking my suggestion into account. Here is another one (haha sorry)
PS: there is a star which doesn't move in the sky?

It is a surveillance satellite of course :D
Good to hear about the non-tearing anim export, it makes it more comfortable to watch, at least for me (nitpick a lot about these stuff because I work with videos :P).

I still have to give the latest emu version a go though.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Myndale wrote:
DFX2KX wrote:staring at the memory output has already given me some sense of the space I've got to work with on these games, and that's pretty helpful

Cheers DFX2KX, just remember that on the real hardware the space available for games only goes up to 7780 which is where the settings page sits, the bootloader takes up everything after that. Maybe I should have the emulator pop up a warning if people load a game that's too big and tries to corrupt this area?

That seems like a good idea, yeah!

Maybe a way to change text color on the various windows, too, that might be helpful, but not necessary by far.

Fantastic work, Myndale. The emulator responds more or less as you'd expect from the real thing.
Post a reply