Web Based Gamebuino Emulator / Mobile App

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: Web Based Gamebuino Emulator / Mobile App

Postby blakewford » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Yes. Currently the Android app requires Dropbox, which requires the Dropbox app to be installed.
The only way to "load" games is to select one on start up, or bring up the Dropbox window again by long pressing the screen.

The emulator uses .hex files which must also be placed in Dropbox.
blakewford

Postby blakewford » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:47 am

I just updated the apk link, and the artifacts should be gone. In addition, I made changes that allow for the Gamebuino app and BoardMicro to install side by side. I am going to focus more on performance now and getting the app into Play so that users are notified / updated as I push new versions.
blakewford

Postby blakewford » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:23 am

I just made changes where now the only distribution mechanism is through Google Play. Let me know if others are needed.
blakewford

Postby ripper121 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Is it possible to work with the ArduinoDroid-Arduino IDE?
So that your emulator load the Hex file which is created by the IDE.
ripper121

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm

What version of android does this require?
I have a Nobis 7 7-inch tablet, and going to the Google Play store, it says that this is incompatible with my device.
I know you are only one man, but could you please add support for my device?
I don't know much about Android development, sorry if you can't :oops: .
Skyrunner65

Postby blakewford » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:36 am

I posted a complimentary, and leading review to the Play Store listing for the ArduinoDroid IDE suggesting the .hex export feature. This is about the best I can do other than suggest you root your phone and search that app's /data directory for any .hex files. I cannot guarantee that that will work, but my best guess is that they exist somewhere on the device once compiled. Looking into tablet issue now, its not technically difficult, but I may or may not update the app to support small tablets. I am concerned about the user experience on not a phone. I have an idea for an app more appropriate for tablets, with modern debugging features, but I have yet to implement many of the pieces.
blakewford

Postby Skyrunner65 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I have an idea that's good for (at least) tablets: I2C/Multiplayer support.
There aren't ANY emulators that support this right now.
Also, could you add a switch to turn it from white on black into black on white? The latter seems more natural to me.
Skyrunner65

Postby erico » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:41 pm

blakewford wrote:I posted a complimentary, and leading review to the Play Store listing for the ArduinoDroid IDE suggesting the .hex export feature. This is about the best I can do other than suggest you root your phone and search that app's /data directory for any .hex files...

Great!
How about skinning a gamebuino into the emulator screen?
I could work out background picture for that once I get to my gamebuino.
erico

Postby blakewford » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:12 am

I just committed a change that will give the web and android based versions a black on greenish scheme.
If you download RetroMicro from Play you should get the app update as I push it out.
I expect that to be sometime at the end of this week.

commit 02ce45dd11ef6fe9ec6f920393dfd7f635465861
Author: blakewford <blakewford@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 2 19:08:27 2014 -0600

Change screen colors to look more like the Gamebuino device
blakewford

Postby blakewford » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:32 am

I received the screen color update through Google Play this morning. If interested double check your installs to see if you have been updated to the newest build. My Gamebuino shipped yesterday, so I am fiddling around with some non-visible features until I can have some hands-on time with an actual device. Until now I have been going solely on best guess prioritization for tasks, features, and correctness.

My latest work has been parsing debug information from AVR elf files to provide source level debugging for games loaded via .elf instead of .hex. None of these features are visible through the app yet, but they are available via the web. The original version of BoardMicro, my non-Gamebuino app, has a minimal gdb like interface accessible by double tapping the screen. I want to do something like this for RetroMicro, but more user friendly.

I vastly prefer only supporting phones for a variety of reasons, but I really want to expose these high level debugging features in a tablet only app. With BoardMicro, the gdb window is unobtrusive but a little advanced and limited for regular usage. With more screen real estate, I could do some really interesting presentations of the debug information, but I would have to limit those features to that device context.

Any feedback is appreciated.
blakewford

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development