Web Based Gamebuino Emulator / Mobile App

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: Web Based Gamebuino Emulator / Mobile App

Postby Quirby64 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:10 pm

I didn't get a Gamebunio for Christmas. Welp, I got a tablet though.

Kinda based on what Skyrunner asked, but different : Is it possible to emulate this app via using an android emulator FOR tablets?

Could solve the problem for awhile. This is my only hope to play my games now :lol: WHEN I do it...someday
Quirby64

Postby blakewford » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:28 am

Is your tablet also 7" ? Considering doing a little testing on an emulator for small tablets. Any tablet details are appreciated.
blakewford

Postby Quirby64 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:15 pm

*sigh of relief* Yes, It's 7-Inches. It's also 4 1/4 inches wide, and is a Samsung Android Tablet.

Also, I could be willing to try making a pixel art gamebunio to use for the emulators.
Quirby64

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:38 pm

If you were wondering, my tablet has a resolution of 720p, if that helps.
Also, does the sound library work? That's something we always have a problem with. (sound library in reference page not complete)
Skyrunner65

Postby blakewford » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:54 pm

I have not yet put any effort into the sound library. Currently I am looking into frame rate improvement s and IDE 1.5.8 support (debug info)
blakewford

Postby Quirby64 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Just a question : When you make the size of the digital screen, is it determined by a variable, or something like that? (eg : var screenSize "120 x 200") I'm just wondering that because, that I could change it to make all the digital pixels the same size, because I'm a picky person :lol:
Quirby64

Postby blakewford » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:52 am

I'll give you an overview of how the screen is displayed, but unfortunately I do not fully understand your question. In short, none of the behavior is currently adjustable but I might be able to add a feature if I can get at the heart of your request.

For starters, both the web based and Android versions write to a buffer that represents the 84x48px screen on the Gamebuino. On Android, this buffer is written to a software bitmap and then scaled to 40% phone's screen width and 65% phone's screen height(note that the only supported orientation is landscape so these numbers have an inverse relationship to the final view). The ratio is not exactly the same as the ratio on the Gamebuino, but it is pretty close.
This allows me to easily support a variety of different screen types. The emulator only knows about an object that exactly mirrors the screen on the Gamebuino, and the scaling happens in a post processing step.
blakewford

Postby Quirby64 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Hm, so the screen displayed automatically on how big it would be via using the 40/65 thing? My question was asking if there was a line of code in the program to show how big each pixel would be / how big the resolution would be. Mainly to provide a better emulation experience, but if it would be hard to do with what you already have, it's ok and you could just keep working on it. :)
Quirby64

Postby blakewford » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am

Here is what I have been working on for tablets. As per usual, I have updated my web based interface first.
http://starlo.org/blake/retromicro/

Once this gets solidified, I will code up an Android version.
The Call Stack and Breakpoints debugging features work best under IDE 1.5.8, which outputs DWARF debug information. However there is an emulator bug with displaying to the screen using that version. I have tested some games, and they work on my Gamebuino, but sadly not on RetroMicro.

Screenshot of what it looks like at its best right now.

next.png
next.png (66.99 KiB) Viewed 51440 times
blakewford

Postby Quirby64 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:30 am

I should really get Dropbox now. I can't wait anymore :D Will put an edit soon i think

EDIT : Ah it didn't work. Maybe my PC isn't powerful enough. It is a handmedown from the "XP Era" of Windows, so maybe it's that.
Quirby64

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development