Web Based Gamebuino Emulator / Mobile App

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: Web Based Gamebuino Emulator / Mobile App

Postby blakewford » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:36 am

I just noticed your edit. I have email alerts setup, but I guess those only fire in the event of a posted reply. I try to be as responsive as possible to feedback. I'd be curious to know more details on how the app did not work. I run primarily on an ARM Chromebook so I would think that would could get away with almost anything. While there are many games that do not work, something like Blocksbuino has decent performance and feedback.

Currently, and likely never, the emulator cannot run at 16Mhz like the actual device. I can only run at ~2-3Mhz on the best of my machines, so you'll need to stick to the simplest games that do not need to touch external storage. As you can see in my screenshot, I normally run with a Batch Delay of 0 and I tend to play with the Batch Instructions slider to best fit the game I am attempting to run. Disable SPI Port Animation also dramatically increases performance. I will likely change this to be the default and possible remove the option in this context all together as it makes more sense as a choice the RetroMicro's parent app BoardMicro.

Some other tips. Chrome is the best supported browser, Safari works about the same, and Firefox has frequent testing. IE is almost never tested and using a version prior to the most current is likely ill advised. My primary test devices are an original Samsung ARM Chromebook, iPad2, Nexus5, and an Eeebox EB 1033. For performance testing I also run occasionally on i7-4770K Desktop. HTML5 is heavily utilitzed.
blakewford

Postby Hark0 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi!

For a rooted Android devices.... have any option to load directly from local path like

/sdcard/source/helloworld.hex

Any config file for edit configuration, etc?

Dropbox works in my device (Huawei G6), but are a bit slooooow procedure.... ;-)

Thanks in advance!

;-)
Hark0

Postby Quirby64 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:35 am

Sorry for late reply!

It turns out, it was me running Paqman that caused the problem, not Chromium - it works a .08 Mhz, though not smoothly (It's enough for me - I can finally play Gamebuino! :D )((It's that same on Chrome)) The error for Paqman was :
"Ox - 145 NaN Nan"
I can only assume 1) Paqman is 145 lines over what could be handled or 2) It might use SD support for memory.
Still can't wait for the tablet version! :lol:
Quirby64

Postby blakewford » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:07 am

Hark0,

Currently there are no official options for doing this. It would not require a rooted device, but I have not implemented anything that would allow for this in the Android version, yet. I like many things about Dropbox, although the final decision was kind of arbitrary. For Android / Chrome devices, I would like to use Drive, but I have yet to put in the time because I view that task as a lower priority. This would be the best option for those platforms, in my opinion, but consistency across my supported variants is of the up most importance to me right now. iOS devices for instance do not give any real options for accessing the disk directly as Android devices do. I have implemented a backdoor for loading local .hex / elf files through the browser, but it would not be tenable unless you planned to host the webpage on your own server like I do for development. If interested, I could spell out that method for you. Sorry, but for the moment core functionality just isn't where I want it to be to tinker with some of these higher level features.
blakewford

Postby tluyben » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question (i'm new here), but I cannot get anything else working then this; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/a4i ... 3.png?dl=0

Maybe i'm doing the wrong make command to set it up for the gamebuino or maybe the hex files (the gamebuino demos) do not work with it? But there are no real docs so ...

Also I have an Android Samsung s5; it seems not to work on there; any .hex I load (again, the demos), just show a yellow pixel right bottom of the simulated screen and that's it. Nothing happens.

Can you help?
tluyben

Postby Hark0 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:47 am

Thans for the info...

I follow the evolution of this interest project. 8-)
Hark0

Postby Hark0 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:25 am

@blakewford

I downloaded from Github your source code and I try to open HEX file...

Chrome not works (win7 64), just "load" a black screen with some white lines.

Can I execute HEX files on LOCAL html5?

TIA

In other hand:

I dowlonaded too BoardMicro... and Ardudroid... I just compiled blink.ino and copied to Dropbox folder....

When I load the hex in BoardMicro... just activate one square... but not blinks.... If I tap at "screen" position shows a command prompt...

Any help are welcome. My device are a Huawei Ascend G6
Hark0

Postby blakewford » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Sorry everyone. I have been travelling without a computer for the past week.

@tluyben
I try to keep the hosted version up to date, but I am excited that someone else is willing to build the project from scratch.
http://starlo.org/blake/retromicro/

To start I would build with, make DROPBOX= TARGET=atmega328.

The TARGET variable is critical to making the final product Gamebuino compatible. By default BoardMicro emulates an ATMega32u4 with an Arduino TFT attached. You also want to disable Dropbox support with DROPBOX= because Dropbox requires me to set safe addresses in order to host the service properly. Without Dropbox support you will be able to load files from your local drive and as a bonus you can also load elf files not just .hex.

I would love to add some better error reporting for detecting whether or not loaded .hex files are binary compatible with the emulator, but I have yet to find a good way to do that. If you think that you are having trouble building the binaries themselves most of the games promoted on this site under the Games tab include prebuilt .hex files in their Download link. http://gamebuino.com/wiki/index.php?title=Games

As always I recommend Blocksbuino to double check your setup.
blakewford

Postby blakewford » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 am

@Hark0

If you are attempting to download the source from GitHub, I would direct you to my response to tluyben in order to get started. Using that approach you can load local files. Attempting to load index.html without running make will result in the behavior you are describing.

I do not intend to do much BoardMicro support here, feel free to email me directly using the address given on Google Play. For Gamebuino stuff, make sure you are using RetroMicro.

I will answer this question as the solution could be useful for GB users as well.
The Blink example might require you to adjust the delay() to get the reaction required. My AVR apps are simulators not emulators so certain clock cycle accurate behavior is not guaranteed.

Make sure you are building for the Arduino Micro board for BoardMicro and for RetroMicro I typically use Arduino Uno configuration. For both apps, a long press on the screen will bring up the Dropbox selection menu. In BoardMicro, double tapping the screen brings up a minimal gdb window(command prompt) you are describing.

If you are interested in building the Android source, let me know and I will post a description.
blakewford

Postby Hark0 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:21 am

blakewford wrote:@Hark0

If you are attempting to download the source from GitHub, I would direct you to my response to tluyben in order to get started. Using that approach you can load local files. Attempting to load index.html without running make will result in the behavior you are describing.

I do not intend to do much BoardMicro support here, feel free to email me directly using the address given on Google Play. For Gamebuino stuff, make sure you are using RetroMicro.

I will answer this question as the solution could be useful for GB users as well.
The Blink example might require you to adjust the delay() to get the reaction required. My AVR apps are simulators not emulators so certain clock cycle accurate behavior is not guaranteed.

Make sure you are building for the Arduino Micro board for BoardMicro and for RetroMicro I typically use Arduino Uno configuration. For both apps, a long press on the screen will bring up the Dropbox selection menu. In BoardMicro, double tapping the screen brings up a minimal gdb window(command prompt) you are describing.

If you are interested in building the Android source, let me know and I will post a description.

Hello!

I'm are interested in develope "On the road" using Android device... My device are rooted, so I can change any parameters file on any path...

I want to write some code with ArduinoDroid... compile... and load direclty to BoardMicro or RetroMicro...

You can email-me at thehark0 (bla) gmail.com...

I use too C4Droid with SDL and SDL2 support... hmmm

We can make a "port" of your code to C/C++?
We can change/config for another TFT resolution?

;)
Hark0

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development