Debugging methode

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Debugging methode

Postby clement » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 am

Hello,

I'am a c# dev and i work in my office with Visual studio.
I can toggle break point, and espion variable.

For gamebuino i create the software with sublime text 2 and compile with the arduino EDI and test it with simbuino.

But i cant toggle break point.

What is your method for debugging your software?

Thank for your help !

PS : sorry for the bad english.
clement

Re: Debugging methode

Postby rodot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:46 am

The Arduino IDE doesn't support breakpoints and other debugging methods, all you can do is to write on screen using gb.display.print, or send data through USB using Serial.println() (not supported by Simbuino).
I think that Simbuino allows debugging, but at low level (Myndale will tell you more).
If you want proper debugging on AVR microcontrollers, you'll have to use AVR Studio along with a JTAG (I never did so I can't tell more).

PS: don't worry about your English, most people are not native English here ;)
rodot
Site Admin

Re: Debugging methode

Postby Myndale » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:28 pm

rodot wrote:send data through USB using Serial.println() (not supported by Simbuino).

Actually Simbuino does support serial output, it's in the panel at the bottom. It's very basic at the moment but it's enough for debugging.

As Rodot points out Simbuino does do assembly level debugging with breakpoints etc, if you get really stuck then you can generate a LST file from the ELF which will show you which assembly instructions map to which lines in your source code. I do intend to one day add proper source line debugging but I have other Gamebuino projects on the boil at the moment so realistically I won't start working on it until next year.
Myndale

Return to Software Development