SDHC support?

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

SDHC support?

Postby CHEEZE » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:23 am

im just curious if the bootloader supports sdhc. sorry if this has been answered already. i have a gamebuino clone on a breadboard(for now) and cant seem to get the bootloader to read my sd. it is a 16gb sdhc formatted to fat16 1gb.
CHEEZE

Re: SDHC support?

Postby rodot » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Hello,
the tinyFAT library supports SDHC so you'll be able to browse your micro SD card with the program "loader", but you won't be able to flash any of the games as the bootloader only supports FAT16 (aka FAT).
You should start by reading the Troubleshooting page, it contains useful material about SD card compatibility and formatting.
You should also read this post, which is about bootloader / micro SD card issues.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby CHEEZE » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 am

well ive been to every store in town and nobody sells non sdhc cards anymore so i guess ill have to get one online.

as far as sdhc goes it wont even allow me to browse the card with the loader program it just says reading sd card for ever until i reset/power off.
the tinyfat library examples dont work either but the regular sdfat library does.
i guess ill just have to wait for now.

also i read that i will know if the bootloader is working corectly if my settings stay saved (which they do), so i dont believe it is a bootloader problem or a hardware/wiring problem.

thanks again for the effort and hard work.
CHEEZE

Postby Myndale » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:58 am

CHEEZE wrote:also i read that i will know if the bootloader is working correctly if my settings stay saved (which they do)

Actually this isn't correct, the Gamebuino entry in the IDE's boards.txt file sets the maximum sketch size to 30592 which reserves space for both the bootloader and the settings page, so as long as you're uploading via the IDE then you shouldn't be able to wipe the settings. If you're able to upload new games via USB then that alone is enough to prove that a bootloader is present and running, although it could still be the wrong one or the correct one but having a compatibility issue with the SD card. Unfortunately this is just one of those things we have to deal with...full support for all types and formats of SD cards would have required a huge amount of code, far more than the bootloader was able to accommadate.

BTW, I don't know if it's in the wiki but if the bootloader is present (either the Arduino Uno one or the Gamebuino one) then it's possible to upload games without using the SD card by running avrdude from the command line like so:

Code: Select all
C:\arduino-1.0.5\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\arduino-1.0.5\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM10 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\SOMEPATH\THEGAME.HEX:i

Obviously the COM port needs to be changed to match your device.
Myndale

Postby CHEEZE » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 pm

I have been uploading through usb. I do believe i have the gamebuino bootloader running. Im pretty sure its just the fact that my sd card is a 16GB sdhc.
Regardless thank youvfor your time, i will post back once i recieve my 2GB card.
CHEEZE

Postby rodot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:52 am

CHEEZE wrote:I have been uploading through usb. I do believe i have the gamebuino bootloader running. Im pretty sure its just the fact that my sd card is a 16GB sdhc.
Regardless thank youvfor your time, i will post back once i recieve my 2GB card.

Yup, as I told you SDHC isn't supported by the bootloader, so you won't be able to flash games from an SDHC card. It should work with a 2GB card though.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby CHEEZE » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:41 pm

But i should be able to browse my files through the loader application right? For some reason t just hangs at reading sd card.
CHEEZE

Postby CHEEZE » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Its working now that i got a 2GB card. Thank you for your time and help.
CHEEZE

Return to Software Development