sprite builder

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

sprite builder

Postby adekto » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:39 pm

im currently trying to build a drawing program for gamebuino
i actually started with a primitive emulator i was building but adding the draw feature
basically u can paint hole screen images only for now using the mouse left button to draw and right to erase
currently those are all the features (meaning it can't save and load files, yet)

gbsp version 1 download
adekto

Re: sprite builder

Postby rodot » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Awesome !
Don't you think that it would be simpler to do just a bitmap converter to be able to use external editing software to draw sprites ? Anyway, whatever you do will be more efficient than what I do, for now I draw sprites directly in the source code like that : :lol:
Code: Select all
static unsigned char PROGMEM bossSprite[]=
{
  B00000000,
  B00100100,
  B00011000,
  B01111110,
  B00111100,
  B01111110,
  B00111100,
  B00000000,
};

I started to develop a sprites, images and even videos (seriously !) converter with Java for Gamebuino, but I'll get back on it later, it's not really the highest priority :)
About an emulator, that would be really funny, but the compilation time doesn't excess seconds, you could directly upload your program on your Gamebuino instead of emulating it ?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby adekto » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 am

dont judge, did the startup image compleety by hand to....
the idea behind this is to not have a real need for external software, basicly having our own little suite of tools to use sprite editor, simple animator, sound tuner

im not saying the one im trying to make is any good (i know its so bad in so many ways) but wel there are no real multyplatform graphics tools and same for bitmap compilers there usualy on windows only

im actualy thinking a website version be much easyer and beter.
on a sidenote have u pict out a IDE where u can like pre-include the library or have highlighting for the gamebuino libs
adekto

Postby rodot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:22 am

I think that we'll stick with the official Arduino IDE, it's really popular, and it's not that difficult to setup a new library. If you want to do some serious programming, there is an Arduino plugin for Netbean.

Having a little suite to do everything related to Gamebuino is what I started to program in Java, but I'm not really good and didn't spent enough time, the hardware and library are the highest priority :P
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Are you talking about a Sprite editor on the Gamebuino? If so, then I could see a way that could work.

*Shows text:"Sprite Builder"*
*2 seconds later, empty canvas appears*
Press "A" to draw, "B" to switch between Eraser and Line, and both to save.
Skyrunner65

Postby rodot » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:46 pm

hahaha I didn't even thought about making a sprite editor directly on the Gamebuino, but that may be a funny toy :)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby phi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:37 pm

I made a rudimentary 8x8 sprite editor that may be useful if you want to create some simple sprites and paste the source directly into your code.
The source code is inside the html source so feel free to fix or improve things if you want to.

Link:
http://yuckfou.de/gamebuino/spriteedit.htm

Screenshot:

TODO:
- support for other sprite sizes (16x16, 32x32)
- clear button
phi

Postby rodot » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Wow, really cool!
Instead of fixed sizes like 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, could you allow any width (multiple of 8) and any height?
I think it should be all white by default. Also, it should be white == 0 and black == 1 (I think it's inverted).
Well done Sir, can I post a link to that in the next Indiegogo update?
rodot
Site Admin

Postby phi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 pm

I think it should be all white by default. Also, it should be white == 0 and black == 1 (I think it's inverted).

Fixed.

I think this tiny program is not suited for sprite sizes above 32x32 (every pixel is magnified x16 and the full gamebuino screen would require a 1344x768 canvas).
I need to rewrite the way the sprite map arrays are handled but after that it should be ready for other sprite sizes.

You can post a link or upload it somewhere else. The tool (including the icons) is open source and you can do with it what you like. I hope this will be of some use for the community.
phi

Postby rodot » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm sure it will, because it's simple and efficient, and doesn't need you to install anything :)
Nice job!
rodot
Site Admin

Next

Return to Software Development