Rboy Tracker alpha release 0.03 [FIXED]

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Rboy Tracker alpha release 0.03 [FIXED]

Postby jonnection » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

> DOWNLOAD LINK <

Hi all

This is an early alpha of the Rboy Tracker.

Whats possible:
- create & save songs and instruments
- play around with modifiers
- cut, copy, paste, nudge patterns
- transpose selections
- try distortions, arpeggios etc.
- Row jumping = jump automatically after entries. Very useful, try it.

What's not yet possible
- export to C for Arduino/Gamebuino = you can't play your file on the Gamebuino yet
- lots of broken features still

WARNING !!! I MIGHT STILL CHANGE SONG STRUCTURES (5-10% CHANCE)... SO YOUR SONG IS NOT FUTURE SAFE YET !

Click google drive link, select download from icon in top toolbar (its 5 mb), unzip and use.

Click the screenshot for instructions, and figure the rest out yourself.

Bug reports welcome. Feature requests will be considered but I am almost 100% locked in this is the tool I am going to use myself for my games. It is unlikely I will add more features.

Have fun, don't be too hard on it yet, there are bugs as I said.

IF YOU GET A PROBLEM WITH OVERLAPPING ELEMENTS (SEE BELOW) THEN
REDUCE THE SIZE OF YOUR DISPLAY SCALING TO 100% (its in Personalize->Display in windows)

Will be fixed later. Sorry.

Last edited by jonnection on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
jonnection

Re: Rboy Tracker alpha release 0.03

Postby erico » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Hey congrats, looks great, will download and try to check the next few days.
On the tracker side, what is note number (internal reference)?
Is it really needed or just extra info? (pardon my ignorance of course)
erico

Postby jonnection » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi Erico

It was not a dumb question at all.

No, there is no need to show that number, but it is a really important number and its useful for me to see it.

That number is the index by which the tracker searches values from pre-calculated tables. For the user C-8 means a note, the number 85 is used to reference the frequency and cycle increment tables.

One reason why I decided to give people a chance to try this tracker is to get some kind of reference to what a Gamebuino tracker could be like. I have selected the features in the Rboy tracker according to my needs. I have a pretty good idea of what kind of calculations the atmega328 is capable of and I have left out a lot of stuff that I know it just can't handle.

The reference number to pre-calculated tables is the most important feature of my tracker. I've built the sound interface so that it simulates the principle of the sound ISR routine in the Gamebuino. And one thing I know from my own trials is that a single division operation inside the ISR is enough to choke, even crash the program. Division operations are very slow, and ISR routines need to be very fast. Using pre-calculated tables that remove the need for complex multiplications and divisions within the ISR is the one reason why I am pretty confident I'll be able to get this working on actual hardware itself (I have already tried it in Isle of Maniax, but that couldn't support music).
jonnection

Postby Skyrunner65 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 pm

It says it can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing.
Skyrunner65

Postby erico » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks for the explanation, sounds great!
Won´t the pre-calculated table eat some ram?

Apart from my attempts to grasp a better knowledge, I worked with trackers ever since I got my beloved GVP DSS8+ sampler back on the amiga days. I still mess with trackers now a days once in a while but not much to show (hear) as I don´t practice enough, just enough to keep my ability to use one going.

I like the way you built your interface, looks very clean.
Cheers!
erico

Postby jonnection » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:56 pm

Skyrunner65 wrote:It says it can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing.

Thanks for spotting. I'll add it to the package.
jonnection

Postby jonnection » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:04 am

erico wrote:Thanks for the explanation, sounds great!
Won´t the pre-calculated table eat some ram?

I like the way you built your interface, looks very clean.
Cheers!

Thanks. I'll try to use PROGMEM (flash) memory for the tables. I think it will be fast enough, afterall we use progmem for bitmaps in the gamebuino.

As a kid I lusted after an Amiga but never got one. My first comp was an IBM PS/1. I should have kept it. It was one of those rare ones with an IBM proprietary soundcard (Adlib clone). Saw one on ebay on sale for 400$.
jonnection

Postby Quirby64 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:13 am

I wanna use this so bad, but clicking the link brings up a Postimage "How to take a screenshot" page. I clicked the download link just in case and (surprise!) it downloaded Postimage. Oi. Is this happening for anyone else?
Quirby64

Postby erico » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:37 am

One more thing...ibm ps/1...that was a luxury at the time! :) my poor/beloved TRS-80 color screamed for that.

How are you up to the shortcuts?
I kind of feel a practitioner tracker guy will use those more then clicking and mousing around. ;)
erico

Postby jonnection » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:15 am

Quirby64 wrote:I wanna use this so bad, but clicking the link brings up a Postimage "How to take a screenshot" page. I clicked the download link just in case and (surprise!) it downloaded Postimage. Oi. Is this happening for anyone else?

Sorry Quirby. You're late, I took the download link away. Skyrunner noticed that a .dll (dynamic link library) was missing.

I will put it in the zip and replace the link today as soon as I have time.
jonnection

Next

Return to Software Development