Rboy Tracker alpha release 0.03 [FIXED]

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: Rboy Tracker alpha release 0.03 [FIXED]

Postby Jamish » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:06 am

Jonnection... this thing is awesome!

I kept track of a couple issues while I was working:

• If you edit the pitch bend and max pitch bend and play a note (I did -1 and -2300), then try to set both back to 0 and 0, the preview note will sound incorrect. I had to change the pitch bend back to -1, play the note, then change it back to 0.
  • Tab order of all the Patch fields are wrong. Also, have you considered keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+2 to jump to patches and Ctrl+3 to jump to the grid? I'd love to not have to use my mouse at all.
  • Is there copy/paste? EDIT: Oh, I see you say it's possible. Haven't figured it out yet, though. Could be because I keep confusing Control with Command on this infernal Apple keyboard.
  • You probably did this to keep things simple, but are there no volume or pitch bending controls on a note-by-note basis?
  • Sometimes I have to reload because a patch's preview is playing entirely wrong pitches. Like, the intervals when playing the keyboard is all wrong. At one point it sounded like the scale was in reverse order (higher notes on left, lower on right)
  • "Loop To" wasn't working. I have the 3 patterns. Last Pattern is set to ID 2, Loop To is set to ID 1, but the song loops back to pattern 0. A restart seemed to fix it, though.
  • What does Sustain do? As far as I can tell, there's no way to hold a note, so Sustain is pointless? Am I missing something :P

At any rate, I figured it out easily enough (Had to check ADSR, duhhhh) and threw this together in a couple hours:

Jamish

Postby jonnection » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:16 am

Jamish wrote:Jonnection... this thing is awesome!

No. What you've just done with it is jaw-droppingly awesome. Thank you. Make that video public please.

I'll get back to the problems you described. I'm off to a short trip for a week, so it will be a while.

Copy-paste. "Paint" the area you want to copy by clicking and dragging with mouse. Press Ctrl-C. A pop up will inform you that its in the clipboard. Then click to where you want to copy it and press Ctrl-V. You can also transpose the painted selection by pressing ctrl-up/down and ctrl-pgup/pgdn (to transpose full octave).

Sustain. It works. Put sustain to say 50 and Decay to a moderate level (10). Then you will see it works. The reason why you probably had problems is because the code is so simple it can't handle if Decay overshoots the sustain by a wide margin. This is due to very fast but simple 8-bit calculations that can easily overflow. All this was done to minimize cpu load on the Gamebuino.

Which brings me to an important subject.

I have started porting the sound code onto the actual hardware. Its a long way, but already the results are looking promising.

For the first time ever, I bring you triple saw waves playing a C major triad (C,E,G) with octave pinp-pong arpeggios on all oscillators.

WARNING ! LOUD SOUND !

jonnection

Postby Jamish » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:56 pm

I made it public and linked to your site.

I'll try sustain later today. Thanks for the tips! I was using bootcamp on my MacBook Air, so I'm used to OSX shortcuts on it that I hit Cmd+C instead of Ctrl+C and gave up when it didn't work the first time, ha. I get so mixed up x_x

I have started porting the sound code onto the actual hardware. Its a long way, but already the results are looking promising.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D YESSS
Jamish

Postby cyberic » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Great stuff! That sounds great!

Jonnection, are you confident that the actual gamebuino will be able to do all that in realtime?

Do you have plans to import the song data from a text file, or a .mod, or to document the file format?

Did you consider adding a 4th voice, even if the effects are more limited?

And will the replaying code be open source?

Thx a lot!
cyberic

Postby jonnection » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:53 pm

cyberic wrote:Great stuff! That sounds great!

1. Jonnection, are you confident that the actual gamebuino will be able to do all that in realtime?

2. Do you have plans to import the song data from a text file, or a .mod, or to document the file format?

3. Did you consider adding a 4th voice, even if the effects are more limited?

4. And will the replaying code be open source?

Thx a lot!

1. Yes and No. If you look at the video I linked above that is already the real hardware calculating 3 saw waves each with arpeggio on and mixing them together in real time. That is already about 80% of the maximum case as far as calculations are concerned (only the volume envelope is missing). The real question is what kind of a game can be run at the same time as the music is rolling. And that can become an issue. I do not believe that a highly graphics intensive game can be run with full sound effects. However, we were able to get 5x speed increase in graphics routines in the other thread we had about graphics optimization. I know there is a lot of room for optimization here also. As a matter of fact, I have just bought an AVR Dragon debugger, and as soon as I get it working with my Code::Blocks setup, I am going to really start digging for cycles.

2. The song/patch format is so simple that if you open it up in a text editor, you can immediately see whats going on. Feel free to make any kind of tool to import/export anything you like.

3. Depends on whether there is enough cpu left to support a 4th sound. An idea I have begun playing with, however, is that I have a pretty functional interface that is pretty easy to modify. It is possible, that I will support directly Gamebuino library -compatible tracking as well. Whats more, My tracker uses Portaudio and wxWidgets - porting over to linux should be a piece of cake.

4. Yep. Replay code will be open and I'll try to make it very easy to use. But its still a ways off.
jonnection

Postby Jamish » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:59 pm

jonnection wrote:The real question is what kind of a game can be run at the same time as the music is rolling. And that can become an issue. I do not believe that a highly graphics intensive game can be run with full sound effects.

And hey, worst case scenario, we convince Rodot to throw another Arduino Mini in the expansion module so we have a co-processor for audio or whatever.

Actually, that's not a bad idea...
Jamish

Postby cyberic » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Jamish wrote:we convince Rodot to throw another Arduino Mini in the expansion module so we have a co-processor for audio or whatever

yes, for audio or for more channels ;-)
Thanks for your answers, jonnection
cyberic

Postby Skyrunner65 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Jamish wrote:Hey, worst case scenario, we convince Rodot to throw another Arduino Mini in the expansion module so we have a co-processor for audio or whatever.
Actually, that's not a bad idea.

I agree!
Kinda like the Sega Genesis... :mrgreen:
Sonic music = ROCKIN' MY SOCKS OFF.
Skyrunner65

Postby rodot » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:10 pm

What you guys are doing is incredible !
Jamish wrote:Hey, worst case scenario, we convince Rodot to throw another Arduino Mini in the expansion module so we have a co-processor for audio or whatever.

If I make a Gamebuino Mega (I will do a poll soon to know exactly what you expect from your Gamebuino), I will drop the FTDI chip and replace it with an atmega, so it could be used for sound generation too. However, I don't think I will include an extra chip in the heaphone module, I prefer to keep it as simple and cheap as possible.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Rodot, I have an idea on what you could do, though I'm not sure how to say it.
Basically do what the folks over at the Raspberry Pi Foundation did and release a newer model at the same price.
Skyrunner65

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development