BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: BuinoBasic - Basic Compiler and VM for the Gamebuino

Postby Quirby64 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Just a thought for a cheaper alternative - how about a Number Pad?
Ascii example :
1 2 3
abc def ghi
4 5 6
jkl mno pqr
7 8 9
stu vwx yz
*misc. symbols*
It could be used in conjunction with the Gamebuino's buttons, as well :
D-Pad : Move around to edit
B : Backspace
Ect...

What do you think?
Quirby64

Postby cyberic » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Would it be possible to use the micro usb port, and to connect a usb keyboard or a mini keypad, using an adapter?
Or to use the micro usb port as a usb host port?
cyberic

Postby adekto » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:47 pm

just thinkng about the display and having played with the nintendo DS game petit computer
mich be cheaper and more versitile to use a screen as keybourd using a resistive touch screen?
altough getting one the size of the oled might be hard to optain

also the cheapest like keybourd would probebly be an IR reciver and a tv remote (cheapest dousnt mean usefull tough)

altogh we need high demand we could do a run of custom silicone pad's (like the zx spectrum)

getting of the shelf parts means allot of tinkering or disasambling like the xbox pad
alternative bieng compliant with BLE would alow any wireles keybourd to work (ofcource at decrement of the batery and price)
adekto

Postby Muessigb » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:57 pm

adekto wrote:just thinkng about the display and having played with the nintendo DS game petit computer
mich be cheaper and more versitile to use a screen as keybourd using a resistive touch screen?
altough getting one the size of the oled might be hard to optain

also the cheapest like keybourd would probebly be an IR reciver and a tv remote (cheapest dousnt mean usefull tough)

altogh we need high demand we could do a run of custom silicone pad's (like the zx spectrum)

getting of the shelf parts means allot of tinkering or disasambling like the xbox pad
alternative bieng compliant with BLE would alow any wireles keybourd to work (ofcource at decrement of the batery and price)

No problem! Before you were writing this, I already developed a working XBox 360 Chatpad driver that will work with our controller ATMEGA128p.
The chatpad is just awesome to write things on; and would probably the best option in my opinion. What do you think?

About the touch screen, how did you think should we add such a layer?

cyberic wrote:Would it be possible to use the micro usb port, and to connect a usb keyboard or a mini keypad, using an adapter?
Or to use the micro usb port as a usb host port?

I fear thats not possible :(

Quirby64 wrote:Just a thought for a cheaper alternative - how about a Number Pad?
Ascii example :
1 2 3
abc def ghi
4 5 6
jkl mno pqr
7 8 9
stu vwx yz
*misc. symbols*
It could be used in conjunction with the Gamebuino's buttons, as well :
D-Pad : Move around to edit
B : Backspace
Ect...

What do you think?

A nice idea actually.
In case you don't like my Chatpad consideration, I have a similar idea in mind, but note that the size of the PCB pretty much dictates the end price of he module.

Here's a rough draft:
Muessigb

Postby adekto » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:18 am

not sure about that i2c as chip select, probebly want a i2c chip doing somthing else that also maniges the chips selecting
due to that and were dealing with 2 conectors in such an odd way may i sugest 2 pcbs that interconect
one acting as a passtrue similar to a wire

or run with 2 cables and mount it all on the back (thats what those cutouts are for anyway)

on the touch screen, well im not sure howto stick it on there or if its even usefull at the resolution, just an idea
adekto

Postby adekto » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:22 am

ok im geting behind the keypad idea
and i would like to expand on the idea, what if u use d-pad in combination with the 9keypad
so the keymap changes depending what dpad your holding down (idk if that makes sence)
the keymap could be displayd on one of the displays

IMG_0482 (1).JPG
IMG_0482 (1).JPG (251.11 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
adekto

Postby Muessigb » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:59 am

adekto wrote:ok im geting behind the keypad idea
and i would like to expand on the idea, what if u use d-pad in combination with the 9keypad
so the keymap changes depending what dpad your holding down (idk if that makes sence)
the keymap could be displayd on one of the displays

IMG_0482 (1).JPG

Looks awesome. Yes, the I2C from the Gamdbuino will be used as simple GPIO to chip select the ICs on the expansion board.
Muessigb

Postby slobu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Just want to say I've been waiting a LONG time for a combination like the Gamebuino and BASIC. I've always wanted to make a handheld LCD game and never went farther than BASIC.

Actually programming on an Arduino seems counterproductive so keyboard interfaces do not interest me. I can't wait until this gets to the point one can write a Zelda clone. Thanks for continuing this project!
slobu

Previous

Return to Software Development