Workflow & turnaround time

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Workflow & turnaround time

Postby konaboy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:41 am

HI, I'm on the brink of ordering a unit but have a few questions about the development workflow. I like to build and test frequently and it is vital that this is easy, quick and preferably automatable process. Furthermore I don't want to be tied to a particular IDE, I like to use text editor and command line.

1) Can I develop using text editor of my choice?
2) I want to write a script that will compile and build the application and then open it in the emulator for testing. Is this possible?

The final step of deploying to the device will not be done so frequently so it will be fine to use the Arduino tools for this.

thanks in advance.
cheers
konaboy

Re: Workflow & turnaround time

Postby adekto » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:24 am

1. i think you can call the compiler (i think its avrdude) from the command line if its installed
2. you can probebly do that to inside your IDE sound allot like a bat file. but i dont know much about this

i dont realy see the point of doing this, you can use an ide of choice and open it in arduino ide wen your done
adekto

Postby Risike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:28 pm

You can use any text/code editor. I use Notepad++.
You can compile and upload using command lines :
See this : https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob ... npage.adoc

Very easy ;)
Risike

Postby konaboy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:05 pm

It took a few days to get approved on the forum and during that time I figured out how to get a very fast turnaround time.

Yes, as mentioned above the trick is the Arduino IDE command line interface.

Here is a very simple bat file that I use to build a hex file. You need to also specify build.path in the Arduino IDE preferences otherwise the hex ends up in an obscure temp folder.

Code: Select all
@echo off
set PROJECT_HOME=%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Arduino
set COMPILE=C:\arduino165\arduino_debug --verify

rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
set source=%PROJECT_HOME%\lcd_hello\lcd_hello.ino
rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

%compile% %source%
pause

I configured Notepad++ to run this script when I press Ctrl+F5.

Finally I discovered that Simbuino will reload a hex from disk and start it automatically if you press Ctrl+F5. This will load up the hex that you just compiled.

So with two keypresses the whole build and test process is automated. Perfect!
konaboy

Postby mougino » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:10 pm

With gbsim+ you can save one more click ;)

I could make it configurable to run Simbuino instead of gbsim, but I wouldn't be able to test it, my attempts to run Simbuino so far were in vain.

Nicolas
mougino

Postby Risike » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:16 am

But with gbsim, you have no sound and no framerate modification...
Risike

Postby mougino » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:37 am

I know but Simbuino doesn't run on my WinXP dev notebook. Show me how and I'll gladly make a Simbuino agent to autorun just-compiled sketches
mougino

Postby Risike » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:42 am

I don't tjink it's possible without modifying the Simbuino source code. Sorry but I don't have enough time to watch this ;)
But I know the .NET framework and in my memry it's very easy to add arguments management on the "main" function. With this, you will be able to run Sibuino like this :
Sumbuino.exe mygame.hex

to launch a game without any click in the Simbuino GUI.

In fact, when I someone use Simbuino he just have to launch the hex file one time and do CTRL + F5 to relauch it.
It's fast and I think it will be a waste of time wanting to save ONE click ;)
Risike

Postby konaboy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Yeah I tried passing a hex file as an argument to Simbuino in the command line and noticed it didn't work. I thought initially that this was a disappointment but then I discovered the Ctrl+F5 trick and it doesn't really matter now. It's very easy and painless to deploy and test a new version of the code.
konaboy

Return to Software Development