VBuino Encoder Experiment

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

VBuino Encoder Experiment

Postby agentavacado » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:46 am

Hey!
So, I have this old paint program I used for one of my older projects. And it was kinda just lying around in my project folder so I decided to re purpose it. It's now a gamebuino paint program! Yay! Alright, it might sound a little stupid, but here's what it can do:

-You can use your mouse to draw a black and white sprite up to 84 * 48 pixels.
-You can encode that sprite into a Bitmap that uses the binary(B) or the hex(0x) operator.
-You can read from black and white or color .png files and VBuino will try to convert color images into black and white
-You can save your sprites to a .vbuino file and read them later
-You can paste code that contains a Bitmap(as long as the only numbers in the code are part of the Bitmap itself) in binary or hex format so you can quickly edit sprites you think you could have improved on

It's not perfect though:

-The paint tools are limited to drawing with your mouse, picking the color with the P key and bucketing with the B key. There is also no "scale" or "select and move" option
-The code is not super optimized in general and can be slow under some computers
-Oh yeah and the font used for the buttons is a really bad 5 * 7

If you think you could have easily added support for a feature you want, well good news! All source files are in the drive folder! So you can load it up with what ever IDE you use and start improving it. I tried to do my best at describing what every statement does. I just do programming as a hobby beside school, so if you see something wrong in the documentation, just tell me and I'll try to fix it or make it clearer. This build was compiled for Java 8 u101.

If you just want to check it out the program itself, go to the drive folder, then open the dist folder. You should see a .jar file of some kind.

You can get it here("VBuino 1" is the latest version):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Let me know what you think. :D

---UPDATE---
Alright! I added support for .png files. Now VBuino will look at a black and white .png file and convert it correctly! If you give it a .png file with color, it'll average the amount of light in each pixel, if it's over half bright, it'll appear white, otherwise, it'll appear black. Works well good for me. Not sure how well it will work with transparency.

I also fixed a bug where the screen would appear grey until you moved your mouse onto the picture. For the first half a second, it'll constantly update the screen, which fixes it for me.
agentavacado

Return to Software Development