I think that it is a good idea.
Suggestions?
Comments?
Skyrunner65

Re: My suggestion for Games and Saves

Postby adekto » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 pm

hi Skyrunner65, welcome to the forum.
im not quite sure what the diagram is referring to, im assuming the sd card
as far as i know only games and the loader are displayed on the loader and no saves files will be shown since that will clutter the loader

idk if the gamebuino can read in nested folder structures or if thats in the pipeline
but some order on the card may be a good way to keep it easy and clean
adekto

Postby martinsustek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Depends on if bootloader will be able to load from (sub)directories.
Personally I would prefer having each game with it's documents (saves) in single folder, so when you delete this folder you also delete its saves.
Could be like this:
/
- bootloader/
- games/
--- game1/
----- main.hex
----- saves/
------- save1.dat
------- save2.dat
----- data/
------- tileset2.hex
------- tileset3.hex
--- game2/
----- main.hex

Maybe API (bootloader) should remember path to directory where loaded game is from and restrict access only into its subdirectories.
Last edited by martinsustek on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinsustek

Postby martinsustek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Also developers should consider using SD/EEPROM for saves/highscores, as the latter one is available even without a card inserted.
martinsustek

Postby adekto » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 pm

eeprom is also kinda a problem since it can be easly overwriten and the data is shared, unless its only for temp saves if theres no sd card present,but still it can lead to corrupt saves.
adekto

Postby Myndale » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 am

The bootloader only loads from the root folder so as to keep its code size to an absolute minimum. The loader app itself uses the full SD library though and that does support sub-folders, so rodot would just need to make it copy the file to a temp file in the root folder if it isn't already located there.

There's also nothing to stop the bootloader saving and restoring eeprom automatically, although it would have to write the last game it flashed to the Gambuino in order to know where to save it to if the user loads another game. That could get messy if the user is also doing uploads via USB of games that write to EEPROM.
Myndale

Postby Skyrunner65 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 am

No, you guys are getting it all wrong. That is what it would look like on the SD Card if you accessed it from the computer. Also, The screen would seem to be better like this:
What do you want to do today?
Play Games|Use Tools
Skyrunner65

Postby adekto » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:10 pm

i think u might have some things confused the gamebuino is not a computer with some sort of terminal

its allot like a cartridge game system u put in the game and it runs only that game,
it actually copies the game data into the flash (citation needed). if u ever came across the sd rom cartridges for nintendo dual-screen u wil see a similar boot lists

also as far as i know there no "tools" onboard the gamebuino since we like to have all the memory we can get for the games
adekto

Postby rodot » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:56 pm

The loader is still under development, I don't know exactly what it will look like, but its main (and only for now) purpose is to browse the SD card to select a game file to load it into the flash (aka program) memory. The programs you run on your Gamebuino could be games or tools as well, it's up to you to put them in the folders you want.
If we reach 6666€ and everybody gets an SD card, preloaded folders will probably be "examples" "games" and "tools" or something like that. But I think that it's just a detail.
I hope I answer you question :)
rodot
Site Admin

Return to Software Development