A gamebuino "emulator" ?

Libraries, utilities, bootloaders...

Re: A gamebuino "emulator" ?

Postby Myndale » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:58 am

Personally I think there's a compelling justification for a Gamebuino emulator. On one hand it's a great way for people who haven't bought one to try it out first before committing to a purchase; when they see how easy it is to use and develop for they'll probably be more inclined to lay down the money (this has happened to so many platforms, Palm Pilot was a notable example). And for those who can't afford one (kids etc) they can at least be part of the community and exchange code snippets and games etc.

On the development side there's a very good argument due to the 10,000 write-cycle of flash memory combined with the fact that the SMD 328p chip is soldered to the board. A single development session can easily burn through over 100 writes, some heavy-use developers will burn through their limit a lot quicker than they realize.

That said it's still very early days for Gamebuino and I think there's probably a good argument to prioritize on getting libs etc stable first and worry about things like emulators later.

Just my 2 cents.
Myndale

Postby rodot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:36 pm

I totally agree with you Myndale, having an emulator would be really cool, but I'm not good enough to be able to make one. So I can't say "there will be an emulator", as it doesn't really depends on me. But I hope that someone will eventually make one.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby Deneth » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm trying to start one. I'm basing it on Avrora. I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon though!
Deneth

Postby Skyrunner65 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:58 pm

That's promising!
Skyrunner65

Postby Deneth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:56 am

A bit of progress:

I can't get further than this because there's no button emulation yet!

I suspect the AVR simulator is running much faster than the hardware, so I'll need to add some speed limiting before I make it available. If it runs slower, I'm in trouble (I probably should check that)!

I'm not sure whether sound emulation would be practical. I guess it could read the PWM registers directly rather than making sense of what comes out of the pin.
Deneth

Postby rodot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

Nice, well done! It seems that we are going to have an emulator even before the consoles are shipped hahaha
Deneth wrote:I'm not sure whether sound emulation would be practical. I guess it could read the PWM registers directly rather than making sense of what comes out of the pin.

Agreed :)
rodot
Site Admin

Postby erico » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm

So you mean like a simulation for the sound? If that is the case, cool enough!
erico

Postby Hark0 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:51 am

Any good platform HAVE HIS OWN emulator ... ;)
Hark0

Postby Deneth » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 am

I decided that it would be a good idea to use an AVR simulator that people use and supports the device, so if I can be motivated I'll need to learn how a different one works.
Deneth

Postby Hark0 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 am

Deneth wrote:I decided that it would be a good idea to use an AVR simulator that people use and supports the device, so if I can be motivated I'll need to learn how a different one works.

I try to make my emulator using Proteus.... currently i'm bloqued in same status of your.... my design not traps de buttons...

Personally, I think an emulator is necessary YES or YES!

;)
Hark0

PreviousNext

Return to Software Development