Lunar Lander

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: Lunar Lander

Postby Myndale » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:43 am

Oh, one thing I have added is an extra mode to the main menu so that you can scroll around the world using the arrow keys instead of flying the ship....makes it much easier to get around the place to see if anything needs changing.
Myndale

Postby erico » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:06 am

Great advancements Myndale!
They all sure are going to be used, specially for testing the ships movement against the terrain difficulties.

Next step for me should be defining all pads and its connections so we can also test fuel and possibly hull stress.
This will take a little while. ;) There will probably be ~200 pads in a quick calculation.
erico

Postby Myndale » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 am

Just pushed a quick version that only does scrolling through the world (I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do flying, might need to use the new library's xor function). I've removed the ELF for now, since the other emulators won't be able to run it. The LUNARRUN.DAT file needs to be in the root on the SD card, it will also work in the latest Simbuino emulator if you set it up to use an IMG containing that file.

The emulator really doesn't do it justice though, it looks much better on the actual hardware :)
Myndale

Postby erico » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:38 am

YEAH! :D ...carmesin style!
20150222_022637.jpg
20150222_022637.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
erico

Postby erico » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:02 pm

just a quick note, screen 30,5 is not in the demo, it should be a screen with a little pond instead of a clone of the forest village.
But I understand this is just a testing of moving around, so no problem.

cheers!
erico

Postby erico » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Some news,

Finished organizing the pads and worked the gateway connections.
Some stats:

162 landing pads comprised of:
35 gateway pads.
123 mission pads.
4 jump gate pads.

World is spread over 22 locations (colored on the map image).
Each one has general state of needs, for example, the capitol city has lots of fuel on gateways, but very little missions reward fuel.

Such stats may generate ~70 missions.
test 03.jpg
test 03.jpg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 6666 times

I´m working with ~ speeds of the ship on the demo, plus expecting that a full fuel tank can last the player about 4-5 screens in navigation mode and 2-3 screens in landing mode.

Other then fuel, consider you have hull energy and some pads can fix, that relation has to be figured to finish the mission pad´s relationship.
At least the gateway part is fine. Also, many little tweeks/fine tunning to the map.

Here a pic showing the gateway connections, just like a subway map.
erico

Postby NicK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 am

It's looking awesome. When we gonna get a version to play??
NicK

Postby Myndale » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:15 am

I've been distracted over the past few weeks getting Simbuino ready for open-source, I'm back on Lunar Lander now and will resume coding on it tonight.
Myndale

Postby erico » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:35 am

Here are all pad´s connections illustrated. Looks like a circuit board no? [watch out! it is a spoiler! :O]
edit: red are gateways, green are missions.
test 04.jpg
test 04.jpg (176.88 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
erico

Postby Myndale » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 am

Ok, so just to clarify the design as I understand it.....

The red lines indicate missions on the main story and their pads are always on, correct? The green lines indicate optional routes and when you land on those pads they become disabled? To turn this into a playable game I'll need to know:

1) I assume red pads add more fuel, do green pads do so as well?
2) How is the amount of fuel determined? A constant depending on the pad size? Or a table with numbers for each pad?
3) Do red pads refuel by the same amount each time or do they have a limit?
4) How does the user know where they are supposed to go next? Specifically, with red pads that have multiple missions coming off them does the user somehow select from a set of options or is there a linear sequence for the entire game you want to create yourself?
5) How do you want me to indicate to the player where their next red pad is?
6) What's the incentive for going off to land on the green pads? Extra fuel? Points?

Also everything I've asked here is based on the original design where red is missions and green are optional routes, but in the post you just made you say "red are gateways, green are missions". Can you pls clarify this, and also explain what a "gateway" is?

Cheers!
Myndale

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development