Isle of Maniax

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Isle of Maniax

Postby jonnection » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:24 am

A little sneak peek at what happened to the Outrunduino project.

"Isle of Maniax" is of course a tribute to the crazy road races that take place on the Isle of Man.

The road pics are in-game screenshots from my own Rboy game engine.

Video is choppy due to screen capture program. But on the Gameboy it runs smooth as silk.

jonnection

Re: Isle of Maniax

Postby Myndale » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:42 am

jonnection wrote:But on the Gameboy it runs smooth as silk.

You mean Gambuino, right? :D

Looks fantastic, really good use of screen real-estate. Can't wait to play it, msg me if you could do with an extra beta-tester. And if you want a smoother video then try downloading my Simbuino emulator, it's got an animated GIF export feature.
Myndale

Postby jonnection » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Your Simbuino is a piece of wonder. Did you code it from scratch ?
jonnection

Postby Myndale » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks! And yeah, I coded it from scratch (apart from the docking windows code, that was a library).
Myndale

Postby jonnection » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:15 am

Now with GEARS !

..this is not going to be your namby-pamby automatic gears type game. I want to make it so that "hit the corner at the wrong speed and you're TOAST", old-school ! :lol:

Fine-tuning centripetal force etc is quite challenging. But it is already beginning to feel like a game.

jonnection

Postby DFX2KX » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:46 pm

I would definitely play that game, jonnection, it looks like it's easy enough to see despite the size of the screen, and that can be really hard to do on a racing game like this. It also kinda reminds me of OutRun and CrusinUSA at the Arcade. Oh the Nostalgia.
DFX2KX

Postby TheTurnipKing » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:02 am

Reminds me of Enduro Racer on the Spectrum.
TheTurnipKing

Postby jonnection » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Sound engine almost in place. 100% my own code.

Recoded from the headphone jack of my fakebuino.

Making an engine sound that doesn't sound like a siren or a climbing PC beep is actually quite difficult on this hardware.

This is a low pitch triangle wave that is amplitude modulating a sample of a real motorcycle. The sample is actually from Andrea Iannoni's Pramac Ducati. Of course, a "little" bit of sound fidelity is lost when crammed into 641 bytes ;-)

jonnection

Postby erico » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:21 am

Super Awesome!

Great project going, I´m really into it! Found memories of Lotus and specially Road Blasters, which I play till this day on my lynx:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANnhPfY ... D1vlkt2sAw

How about other racers?
How are the tracks going to be? Multiplayer maybe?

Keep it up!!!
erico

Postby jonnection » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:53 am

How about other racers?
How are the tracks going to be? Multiplayer maybe?

Hi Erico

- there will be other computer racers. Their A.I. is one of the most problematic things still missing. I do not want stupid opponents that are there just to block the road. I want opponents that are realistically calculated and will pass you if you're driving badly.
- tracks are based on segments that define curvature and elevation in one single byte. Subsequent segments cause different situations based on what is coming next (see the text on the left top corner, that is decribing elevation events and view in the horizon). The track information is very compact, I should be able to fit at least 6-7 different tracks in memory. Alternatively, I could make a random generated endless road, but I do not know if that would be fun.
- multiplayer... problem is that I have only 1 fakebuino that I use at the moment. Multiplayer will maybe be a feature but much later.

I am thinking that I will release a pre-test version once I have collision detection in place and I am satisfied with the physics. The pre-test version will feature a time-trial challenge of 1 track. This is to give Gamebuino owners something to play with before the actual game is released.
jonnection

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development