Isle of Maniax

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: Isle of Maniax

Postby jonnection » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 pm

An important addition to the toolset is almost ready: fast bitmap scaling algorithm.

I will need this for drawing roadside objects and scaling CPU-opponent bikes. All integer math, no floating point numbers. Very smooth and quite fast. I had to develop my own fixed point class with the necessary mathematical operands - and that took a bit of time.

Demo below (takes a while to get started, because I am not used to the keymapping in Simbuino).

jonnection

Postby Myndale » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm

jonnection wrote:Demo below (takes a while to get started, because I am not used to the keymapping in Simbuino).

Heh, sorry :? I uploaded a new version tonight that fixes a few issues including the user key settings...turns out I was saving settings for everything except the four directional buttons!

I'm still planning to look into those audio issues you've raised with non-square waveforms...there's obviously something going on with the audio circuit that I don't know about and I'd like to find out what it is so I can support it in my emulator.
Myndale

Postby jonnection » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:21 pm

One thing leads to another and now I'm thinking ... if ...

jonnection

Postby jonnection » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:47 pm

Myndale wrote: I'm still planning to look into those audio issues you've raised with non-square waveforms...there's obviously something going on with the audio circuit that I don't know about and I'd like to find out what it is so I can support it in my emulator.

Personally, I'm going to remove the PWM emulation because loss of resolution is more unrealistic than not having realistic artefacts. It's difficult to explain in short, but what's happening is I just wrote a keyboard handler and tried to play something - only to find that due to less resolution due to emulating PWM, the calculation of semitones is not accurate enough, and notes are out of key. I could go around the problem with pre-calculated tables, but I won't.

But if you're interested, just modify the ISR on Gamebuino to generate saw waves instead of square and I think you'll find out what I'm talking about. PWM simply is not the same thing as the PC soundcard DAC. This is why (I believe) all the Arduino synths I have looked at have some sort of a hardware low-pass filter (to get rid of the whine).
jonnection

Postby jonnection » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Trees. Test 1.

The feeling of depth and speed effect is improved a lot with the smoothly zooming trees flying by.

jonnection

Postby Zoglu » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:52 pm

jonnection wrote:The feeling of depth and speed effect is improved a lot with the smoothly zooming trees flying by.
Indeed ;) Looking forward to play this, please please please release a demo !
Zoglu

Postby jonnection » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Tree test 2. Scaling increased, road narrower, tree rendering order reversed to correct order (farthest gets drawn first). On Isle of Man TT races, the lunatics drive 300 kph through tunnels of houses and hedges with zero margin for error... I'm trying to recreate that feeling.

Demo will be released when:
A) crashing works (I want to make a spectacular flying dude and tumbling bike)
B) lap time challenge works correctly (demo will not have opponents)
c) one nasty bug with road rendering has been solved

jonnection

Postby erico » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:52 pm

fantastic...this gets better by the minute, really impressive achievement!
erico

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:41 am

Cool game.
Are you going to be able to attack others, and if so, then what weaponry will there be?
Skyrunner65

Postby erico » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:51 am

what? if you ´road rash´it with multiplayer...I might as well sell all I have to get gamebuinos to play with friends. :p
erico

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development