Switch to full style
Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design
Post a reply

Re: Isle of Maniax

Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:45 pm

Hollly nerp, Raicng has been one of my fav genres of all time. Thank you kind sir for making this happen, even though I can't play it yet :lol:

I made some Peel Cars to work with the "Isle of Man" theme. If I'm right, they were the only car maker there, so I thought it worked perfectly. :P

(From Left to Right : Motorcycle, P50, Trident, Viking Sport)

EDIT : I mean, they'd make good traffic .o.
Attachments
IOMCars.png
IOMCars.png (872 Bytes) Viewed 15919 times

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:17 am

Lol ! Nice idea ! Also, thanks for the tip on Peel cars, I never knew the funny buggers originated from Isle of Man

Actually... I could make a Peel car a special achievement bonus... :D

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Inspiration for music for your game... Lazerhawk OVERDRIVE.
Can´t be anything short then that! ;)

http://lazerhawk.bandcamp.com/track/overdrive

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:34 am

Heh, Erico... you reading my mind or what ?

Because I was just about to put up a new video here.

I'm working on a program I call Rbtracker. The goal is to bring music to my games. It is a very optimized tracker that aims for minimal cpu overhead on the Gamebuino. I've written all the algorithms from scratch.

It works in a different way to the Gamebuino sound library. I still haven't ported the code to the atmega, but since all the algorithms are based on what I have already tried on the Fakebuino, I am confident I'll be able to pull it off. There are no divides or other cpu-consuming math operations. Its all precalculated tables and bitshifts.

Here is a very, very sneak peek at what it does. This is just a drum pattern I threw together this morning and took a short video of.

The whining sound is caused by an annoying bug in my soundcard driver. The sound output is not suspended properly on idle. 0 sound level causes the whine. Its really annoying.

I am planning to make a Gamebuino-library compatible version also a bit later.

Note: the tracker is still missing load/save song as well as export to C etc etc. It is of NO USE to anyone. Yet.

EDIT: a little description of whats going on in this video

It's my Rbtracker, written with wxWidgets & Portaudio library. It uses a "fake" interrupt routine to emulate sound as it would come out of the Gamebuino. The interrupt routine takes 3 channels and mixes them, as well as calculates volume and pitch bend envelopes. At the moment, the instruments have 5 different waveforms, an ADSR envelope and pitch bend. One pattern will take 192 bytes when stored on the Gamebuino, and each instrument around 12 to 15 bytes.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:32 pm

The output music is sounding great! (even with the whining sound at back)
That sample music loop you did on the fly is chip tune tasty.

I take you have prior experience on trackers right?

Keep it up, it will be nice to have a set of creative tools for the Gamebuino. A tracker is sure a very important one!
Cheers!

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Quick pattern test #2 with different kind of instruments.

Multiple patterns is not yet supported, thats why just a short loop.

The stupid problem (whine) with the non-suspending idle speaker spoils the sound... gaah.

EDIT: this will NOT be music for Isle of Maniax... its just a random jam to test sounds.

There's simple noise doing the drums and shakers, a sawtooth bass jumping an octave every second beat and a triangle wave playing out the theme. Next step will be to port the sound engine onto the real hardware and try the instruments there. Stay tuned !

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Don´t worry about the whine problem, tune is clear and shows for your talent, capabilities of your software are pretty perfectly clear too.
I do miss the tracker´s mark going over the places when playing though... :lol:

Jokes aside, by the interface looks, you sure have a bomb coming, really good stuff!
If there is anything I can help, count me up (in a week please, school stuff getting finished :roll: ).

The close up on the interface is great, lots of parameters to tweak.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Wow, liking the chiptunes! Now when you put it for download I'ma gonna remake video game themes on it ans well as do some originals .o.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:24 pm

You are or you do not wait! :)

sorry for my english

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:05 am

Patience, svp. Il arrive. J'ai été trés occupe avec mon travail.

It's coming I promise. I have just been very busy with my day job lately.

Post a reply