Maruino

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Maruino

Postby ajsb113 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Update! Bugs have been removed, but more may have arrived.
The file attached has been updated.

Old stuff
||
\ /

Hey guys! So I've been developing a sort of Mario inspired platformer for my independent study computer science class. It's taken me a while since I only have about an hour a day to work on it but I've made enough progress that I think I can share it with you guys. It could technically stand alone as a game but it's got some bugs and I want to add more features.

Features:
-Custom levels! (Took me long enough to figure out how to make them :roll: )
-Mushrooms that make you a bigger character! :D
-Beautiful animations! (Very sarcastic...)
-Enemies (Technically enemy) that make you smaller or die :(
-An on screen display for time left in the level, score, and lives
-Mystery blocks that give coins or mushrooms

Controls:
-Left and right to move (Duh)
-A to jump
-Hold B to crouch if you're big

No screenshots yet since my school computer can't run the emulators based on admin restrictions :roll:. But they will come soon!
I'm open to suggestions about features to add, some help with animations (maybe a lot of help), or any optimization ideas.

Thanks guys! :D

Download the zip Here
Attachments
Maruino.zip
(95.93 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Last edited by ajsb113 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ajsb113

Re: Maruino

Postby LuDoPhotography » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:43 pm

It's verry cool :)
LuDoPhotography

Postby Jamish » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Nice work so far! I think that your animations are fine! I wasn't so sure about pressing B to crouch at first, but now that I've played it I like that some parts require you to crouch walk in order to progress (it reminds me ever so slightly of vent crawling in Half Life, ha). Your code looks pretty good, too. Good use of your entities and structs for organization.

Suggestions:

I can't jump high enough to get the coins at the beginning. What a tease.

You should draw the FLIPH coin sprite with a -1 x offset so that the coin looks like it's rotating in place. Otherwise it's a pixel off.

You seem to have a bug when landing. Sometimes you stop a few pixels before hitting the ground, then you start falling again before landing. Seems to come from your y-collision code:

Code: Select all
player.y += player.vy;
  if(playerCollide()){//collision on y-axis
    player.y -= player.vy;
    player.vy /= 2;
  }

After updating your player.y, you're checking to see if there is a block (or other solid object) at your current position. Rather than subtracting player.vy from player.y, you should use a for loop to move into the last free spot before the collision. That way your player will always land on the surface of the block rather than triggering a collision and slowing down a few pixels above the block. The easiest way to do this with your code would look something like:

Code: Select all

player.y += player.vy;
  if(playerCollide()){//collision on y-axis
    for(int i = 0; i < player.vy; i++) {
        player.y -= 1;
        if (!playerCollide()) {
            // We found the last open spot before the block
            player.vy = 0; // Stop moving
            break; //Quit the loop
        }
    }
  }

And if I were you, I'd update it so you you have a "playerCollideWithSolid()" function, or so your playerCollide function returns an integer that indicates the type of object it collided with. That way you can check for "solid" objects only (like the blocks, mystery blocks) instead of all objects (which includes non-solid objects like goombas or coins) when dealing with your movement calculations.

Keep up the good work!
Jamish

Postby Drakker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Jamish wrote:I can't jump high enough to get the coins at the beginning. What a tease.

Actually, thanks to the bug you found, you can get there. Jump as high as you can on the side of the blocks and press jump as fast as possible. It will slow your descent and then you will slowly start going up and you'll get on the blocks.

Also, sometimes, when you pick up a mushroom, you end up with your feet in the ground.

This game shows a lot of promise, great work!
Drakker

Postby ajsb113 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:32 am

Thanks for checking it out guys! I'll take a look at those things when I get back to class tomorrow. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it so far! Also, that's a really good idea for the collision code, I'll try it out :D
ajsb113

Postby Drakker » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:05 am

Here's a quick video. Showing two bugs, the one I described where you can jump on the blocks and a Goomba hitting me and not doing any damage.

Drakker

Postby ajsb113 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Bugs have been squashed! I should have an updated version up tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks for your help this far!
ajsb113

Postby ajsb113 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:46 pm

New update including some "cheat" codes and another level. :) Controls menu added and you can toggle the HUD with UP. Let me know if you guys have any ideas for functions that could be changed with codes. I have plenty of ideas for the codes, but not a ton for what they do. :lol: Also, please don't spoil the codes for yourself or others. I understand if you want to know for yourself, but spoiling them for others just ins't polite.
Thanks guys!
ajsb113

Postby Jamish » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:37 pm

I'll try it later tonight (hopefully I remember!) but I had an idea for your HUD.

You have "up" to toggle it, but it'd be nicer if the HUD were smaller in general. You could probably put all the text in a row and use icons rather than words (like the heart for lives, hourglass for time, etc.) that way there's just a thin HUD bar along that shouldn't cover up anything important.

like,

"\35:128 $:8300 \03:5"

and unless your score gets really big, you may be able to fit it all?
Jamish

Postby ajsb113 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:33 pm

That's a good idea, I'll try that out!
ajsb113

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development