[WIP] Operation Fox [100% playable Demo released]

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [WIP] Operation Fox [Awesome new video in last message !

Postby rodot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:44 am

Oh god, marvelous ! I really have to put a sub-woofer on the next version of Gamebuino :lol:

PS: I fixed the surprised smilie, it was a typo in the name. Thanks for pointing that out.
rodot
Site Admin

Re: [WIP] Operation Fox [Awesome new video in last message !

Postby jonnection » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 am

a bit of animation and AI

There are still many problems, the worst being a slowly worsening bug (memory leak?) that causes the program to crash, which I have not been able to pinpoint. It crashes Simbuino totally, to the point where reset does not work anymore ... weird.

EDIT: found the crash, it was nothing to do with my code or Simbuino

... some more animation and AI

EDIT: Busy day at the camp ... 30 baddies at once !!

jonnection

Re: [WIP] Operation Fox [Options & HUD added]

Postby jonnection » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:55 pm

A working options menu (contrast, volume, C back to file loader) and HUD (ammo + life added). Also added some animations.

I am going to have a bit different strategy for contrast & other options in my game library. In all games, contrast, sound and fileloader pop-up window can be called up any time by pressing C. Pressing Up/Down changes contrast, pressing left/right changes volume. There is no SETTINGS.HEX or saving to EEPROM or stuff like that. I find it too confusing.

... its getting close to first release...

jonnection

Postby erico » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:56 am

Super!
You game library rocks. The option menu is an excellent idea and the implementation looks awesome.
Did I understand that you evoke and ´unevoke´ the menu with C?

Keep it up!
erico

Postby jonnection » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 am

erico wrote:Super!
Did I understand that you evoke and ´unevoke´ the menu with C?

Thanks for the comments.

No at the moment it does not work like that (evoke/unevoke with C) but I think I have to make it do exactly so, because I found myself trying to click C to open/close the pop-up when I was recording the demo in Simbuino.

The problem is that with using the same key C to open/close I will have to detect if C has been released & introduce some sort of delay to "de-bounce" the C button. I do not have the same kind of button controls as the Gamebuino library. Rodot has built in a lot of intelligence into the button functions to make them easy to program. I have kept everything at bare minimum. But its not a problem, requires just more code.

I hope to have a playable test HEX up by the end of this weekend.
jonnection

Postby jonnection » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Oh noes... I finally reached the limits of the Gamebuino. I hit the 30kb flash border and now I have to start ripping features out instead of putting them in. And, unfortunately, the pop-up menu and intro have to go. 35 kb of code just doesn't quite fit in anymore.

On the positive side, i am already playing and adjusting difficulty and medikit health amount and such play features. And I can put 40 baddies & streaming music running at the same time...
jonnection

Postby Skyrunner65 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Wait a second, you could use Myndale's idea of data files that load, right?
Skyrunner65

Postby jonnection » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:31 pm

simultaneous music & sfx. a bit of lag in music when firing, can be fixed by adjusting the buffer. yes, its all coming from the gamebuino. no faking
jonnection

Postby jonnection » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:36 am

Better video. Some lag still, but not as bad anymore.

@Skyrunner: sorry, forgot to answer your question.

The problem is that I am running out of program space = too much code. Too much game logic that is to say. Too many rules on how the stuff on the screen should behave. I have to simplify the _game_ not really so much to take out sprites (although I will do that too).

That said, I am already using the technique you suggested, I am streaming 4 megabits from the SD card.
jonnection

Re: [WIP] Operation Fox [real gameplay video added]

Postby jonnection » Mon May 11, 2015 8:23 am

The game has progressed very far, to the point where I am am adjusting gameplay difficulty.

After I get the gameplay to be fun (its way too difficult at the moment), I will make the other levels and then it will be ready.

jonnection

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development