My sprites (Mana, Tanks, SimCity, Fighter and many more)

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

My sprites (Mana, Tanks, SimCity, Fighter and many more)

Postby Marcus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Hello world,

as it felt like I was spamming someone's else thread, I decided to start one.

Demake of Mana

dom_sprite_all_v0.png
dom_sprite_all_v0.png (55.85 KiB) Viewed 7036 times

"Secret of Mana" was an amazing adventure for it's time and introduced new features (such as the ring menu, three player RPG) and the graphics where well made. It is still fun to play it today.

I am not sure I can get anything playable any time soon (so far I only have a simple walk-around and follow-me program), but perhaps someone else finds the sprites useful for other projects.

I scaled a screenshot of SoM to 84px width and decided 8x11 would be a good size for the character's sprites. Especially in monochrome that turned out to be limiting and difficult :-)
Even NES sprites are typically larger, plus they utilize multiple colors instead of using outlines (Face color directly followed by shirt color).

The possibility of displaying gray on the Nokia-Screen seems tempting, but I did not want to rely on it too much. The following are typically working monochrome as well.

It feels a bit wrong to take one of the prettiest SNES-Games and butcher the sprites to 8x11. but it was fun to do. The many enemies and NPC are really a lot of work, so far it is mostly a bunch of standard poses and design studies. I started animating some.

sprite_dom_ani-test0.gif
sprite_dom_ani-test0.gif (17.56 KiB) Viewed 7036 times

Next would be to finish the animation for all of the sprites (Phew...) and the maps.

I would have to make multiple mask layers in order for making it possible to switch different grey scale settings in the menu.

Ideally, I want to recreate a Nintendo/Nelsonic - Style Game wristwatch.
swes-model-00a.png
swes-model-00a.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 7036 times

The Nokia display would be great due to the low power consumption. Though the form factor of the later color LCD breakout or even a smaller 128x96 LCD would make designing this easier... Though would result in having to create my own graphic library and circuitry.

Decisions, decisions :-)

I would be greatful for any advice on how to improve on the sprites, general advice on what to keep in mind when designing such small sprites and how to get the animation right at these scales...
Last edited by Marcus on Sun May 03, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marcus

Re: Demake of Mana (Sprites and other things)

Postby Marcus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:31 pm

I am currently trying to design the maps, and I am curious how others do it.
Drawing the whole map would probably be too memory intensive, so I played around with tiles. 4x4 seems to make the most sense, but 5x5, 6x6 or larger would look better.

To maintain a more organic look I tried to split some of the tiles to make the edges and angles appear more dynamic.

dom-tile-test_00a.png
dom-tile-test_00a.png (48.12 KiB) Viewed 6998 times

Any advice from you proefessionals out there? :-)
Marcus

Postby gladoscc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Not a professional but I love the hand drawn one!
gladoscc

Postby erico » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:40 am

They look pretty good.
Sizes looks balanced to what the gamebuino´s screen offer for that type of game.

The sprites using grey looks about good in size not to blink, background seems a bit too much.
But I think the tech on grey is changing.
erico

Postby Marcus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Sorry for the late reply :-)
Thank you for the feedback, both of you!

No progress lately (other then a few doodles and other sprites), I'd love to make an RPG, but busy with other things at the moment :-( If anyone can use some sprites, let me know. :-)
Marcus

Re: My sprites (Mana, Tanks, SimCity and many more)

Postby Marcus » Fri May 01, 2015 11:26 am

I renamed my thread for a general sprite showcase, as my efforts to program "demake of Mana" are on hiatus right now (not enough time). But perhaps someone can use some of my sprites, even though I am not the best sprite artist out there. I will edit my initial post and add a index later.

Back in the good old days of WAP, I was starting a AdvanceWars/Command&Conquer like game (round based) as I always liked RT & RB strategy games.

I had a few "tiny mode" sprites, so I took my design and adjusted it for the Gamebuino/Nokia screen, adding the rest of the units. I also made some basic terrain.

tanksprites_b.png
tanksprites_b.png (36.73 KiB) Viewed 6791 times

It's still a bit rough, but if anyone wants to use it, I'll be happy to clean it up.
Marcus

Postby Marcus » Fri May 01, 2015 11:35 am

I also made a sim city game for wap phones (with chess-like inteface, "build [factory] @ [A] [4]".
The isometric version never got completely done, but the tiny 2D version (top right) @ 96x96 and 128x128 worked quite well once you got used to the symbols.

I'll attempt a smaller isometric version but I am not sure if it will work out.

simcity_spr.png
simcity_spr.png (39.44 KiB) Viewed 6790 times
Marcus

Postby Quirby64 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:14 am

My nerp, these look great! Especially that isometric Sim City it the bottom-left corner.
And on the subject of those games for WAP, do you have any of the files for them? I have a flip phone, maybe I could play them :)
Quirby64

Postby Marcus » Sun May 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks! Only the small version was working completely; It was browser based / PHP to be playable on phones not capable of J2ME/Java.

Here a few other things I made so far.

A street-fighter (SNES) inspired sprite sheet;
fighter_unf0a.png
fighter_unf0a.png (10.64 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

As no detailed back-grounds are possible, I made a few foreground/bottom graphic tests.

My first game idea for Gamebuino, unfinished.
joe.png
joe.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

The doodles I made for other games & discussions :-)

minispri.png
minispri.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 6711 times

download/file.php?id=599

...more to follow, upload limit per post
Last edited by Marcus on Mon May 04, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus

Re: My sprites (Mana, Tanks, SimCity, Fighter and many more

Postby Jerom » Mon May 04, 2015 10:02 am

Great stuff Marcus!!
Jerom

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development