Newbie Questions (Solved)

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Newbie Questions (Solved)

Postby mictator » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Hello,

before i buy a Gamebuino ,i have a lot of questions. Hardware and Software.

Wenn jemand Deutsch kann, bitte in Deutsch zurückschreiben. Gibt es hier einen Deutschen User? In Berlin wäre natürlich ein glücksfall.

1. ArduinoBoy vs Gamebuino. The Gamebuino has a SD Card and with this i can make Savegames. That's very important for me(not really a question).
2. LCD Problems. I read many Threads here. Is that problem actually?
3. Battery Problems. I'm not a Hardware Guy and don't want to tinker.
4. Programming Language. I'm a newbie here. I want to learn C#, why ( I know C++ is more in request). Because i want Unity. There is a Template with the name TurnBasedToolKit(TBTK) from a guy who write it in C#. This TBTK is my Goal. Is there a chance to programm the Gamebuino with C#?
5. Gamebuino Wars. I want to make a similar game. A.I.! Challenging or Impossibble to make a good A.I.?
6. Save Games. I want that a Force go with you in a Campaign. Is that possible and is Campaign mode in Gamebuino Wars possible?

I hope that's not too stupid questions. I want to buy a Gamebuino to skilling my programming abilitys and the price is good.

thanks
Last edited by mictator on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mictator

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby Sorunome » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:00 pm

mictator wrote:Hello,

before i buy a Gamebuino ,i have a lot of questions. Hardware and Software.

Wenn jemand Deutsch kann, bitte in Deutsch zurückschreiben. Gibt es hier einen Deutschen User? In Berlin wäre natürlich ein glücksfall.
Ja, hier!
1. ArduinoBoy vs Gamebuino. The Gamebuino has a SD Card and with this i can make Savegames. That's very important for me(not really a question).
Jup, meiner Meinung nach ein echtes Manko am Arduboy
2. LCD Problems. I read many Threads here. Is that problem actually?
Wenn der kontrast sehr komisch ist oder so kannst du einfach den Bildschirm etwas verschieben bis alles OK ist - das ist eine einmal-sache, ansonsten gibt es nicht wirklich probleme
3. Battery Problems. I'm not a Hardware Guy and don't want to tinker.
Das Akku hält prima und sehr lange! Ich glaub im Dauerbetrieb schafft es so nen ganzen Tag ohne geladen zu werden
4. Programming Language. I'm a newbie here. I want to learn C#, why ( I know C++ is more in request). Because i want Unity. There is a Template with the name TurnBasedToolKit(TBTK) from a guy who write it in C#. This TBTK is my Goal. Is there a chance to programm the Gamebuino with C#?
Zum programmieren verwendest Du die normale Arduino IDE, welche es hier gibt: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
Die Sprache ist dann C++, es gibt auch eine Library welche die Funktionen wie Bildschirm, sprites zeichnen, audio etc. sehr vereinfachen: https://github.com/Rodot/Gamebuino
5. Gamebuino Wars. I want to make a similar game. A.I.! Challenging or Impossibble to make a good A.I.?
Durchaus möglich, ich habe persönlich noch nie eine KI geschrieben also kenne ich mich da nicht aus.
6. Save Games. I want that a Force go with you in a Campaign. Is that possible and is Campaign mode in Gamebuino Wars possible?
Wenn du etwas in den EEPROM speicherst wird der Gamebuino es beim spiel-wechsel automatisch abspeichern / laden
I hope that's not too stupid questions. I want to buy a Gamebuino to skilling my programming abilitys and the price is good.

thanks

Ein paar hilfreiche Links findest du in der Navigation oben, wie "Getting Started", "Learning" und der gleichen.
Sorunome

Postby adekto » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 pm

wel hi there, and there seems to be some confusion here and there

1 i asume your meant the arduboy, yes gamebuino has an sd card and io ports for expansion, also 1 more button
2 LCD is from my experiance is stable, any sort of presure put on the display may couse artifacts or change of contrast but apart from that all my gb have working lcd's
3 battery will discharge if it isnt recharges regurlarly but its posible to solder a new one on it
4 gamebuino and other arduino based deviceses use c/c++ that gets compiled down into machine code, technicly if you have a c# compiler for arduino you could do it, however the library isnt so you would have to rewrite the hole thing, and as what i asume your still new to coding it may not be the best starting point, leurning to program dousnt mean your lockt to 1 language apart from some syntax difrences you can apply similar concepts to it.
5 what you mean by gamebuino wars?
6 i cant make heads or tails from that sentence...

P.S ur dealing with a micro chip here, no way to use unity stuff in there.. you have to optimize your variables and type's, u got kilobits not gigabytes of memory
P.P.S did you mean advanced wars clone?
adekto

Postby Marcus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:25 pm

I think something like Advance wars :-)

&& Grüße aus Kiel! :-) Ich hatte schonmal Sprites gemacht, falls du was gebrauchen kannst; download/file.php?id=770
Marcus

Postby mictator » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks for the fast replys. Here is a thread with Save Games and there is a User that make a Game Gamebuino Wars. Heavy Inspired by Advance Wars.
C# and C++ learning is a bit heavy, and rewrite the librarys to C# is to complicated. Hmm..

OMG! Endlich mal wieder Deutsch in ein Forum zu schreiben tut gut. Gamebuino sehe ich als guten Weg um Spiele programmieren zu lernen, aber zwei Sprachen gleichzeitig ist nicht ganz einfach. Was denkt ihr? Unity mit TBTK sehe ich als Fernziel an.
mictator

Postby Marcus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Well, programming Arduino is a pretty easy 'dialect', and there are tons of examples and projects, libraries and code-snippets you can find and use, not only for Gamebuino. But for general game making, something like Java/C#, or browser based (Javascript, perhaps Flash/AS <easiest and most fun in my experience>, or a server side scripting language for turn based browser games) might give you a direct start.
Arduino and Gamebuino will be fun to get started with Micro controllers and retro video games, having to deal with limitations of simple hardware, graphics and sound is challenging in a whole different way :-) Also you will acquire basic skills to use Arduino, e.g. build robots, control lights, measure temperature and read it via WiFi, etc.etc...

I do not know about Unity.

Es gibt doch auch viele deutsche Foren? :-)
Marcus

Postby adekto » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:34 am

its in english and idk if it wil help you but i did a programming tutorial way back on the basics
adekto

Postby Sorunome » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:03 pm

mictator wrote:[...]
OMG! Endlich mal wieder Deutsch in ein Forum zu schreiben tut gut. Gamebuino sehe ich als guten Weg um Spiele programmieren zu lernen, aber zwei Sprachen gleichzeitig ist nicht ganz einfach. Was denkt ihr? Unity mit TBTK sehe ich als Fernziel an.

Ich halte es für unrealistisch, da Unity eine komplexe 3D engine ist, wie schon von adekto erwähnt hast du bei dem Gamebuino nur zwei kilobyte RAM - während bei desktop-PCs heutzutage acht Gigabyte normal sind - das ist das 4194304-Fache! Nicht nur das, das Programm selbst kann auch nur 32KB groß sein während bei desktop PCs die Festplatten teils schon mehrere Terrabyte groß sind...

Außerdem ist die Rechenleistung des Gamebuinos um einiges kleiner.

Allerdings wäre es theoretisch schon denkbar dass irgendwann mal jemand eine 3D-engine dafür schreibt, es gibt schon schließlich eine 3D-demo. Allerdings wäre diese nicht wie existierende engines sondern stark für diese hardware optimiert.
Sorunome

Postby mictator » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:03 pm

Thank you.

Ok, unity, C# and Gamebuino is dead. I make a new thread.
Einen in Deutsch and another in english
mictator

Re: Newbie Questions (Solved)

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:25 pm

Isometric views will be your best bet :-)
Marcus

Return to Project Guidance & Game development