[EN] Kriegsherr Advance Wars similar game

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

[EN] Kriegsherr Advance Wars similar game

Postby mictator » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Hello,

i want to make a Advance Wars game. I know here is Myndal who has the same project. I think he can help me good

I want to explain that i not happy to say a Advance War game. Nintendo is late with this kind of game.

1.The Grandfather of all this games is Nectaris from Hudson Soft for the PC Engine. Military Madness the US Version.

2.Then came Daisenryaku (World War II and Modern conflicts). Here is more complexity, they must balancing the unit's. A T-34 and Panzer I need historical values.

3. The Western Clones. Battle Isle (Nectaris) and Panzer General (Daisenryaku WW II).

4. Advance Wars (Nectaris Clone). The last of this series of games and most popular.

Ok, i'm a newbie and want not a too complex Turn based strategy game. I want it to make it like Nectaris (I've buyed 1990 a PC Engine and Nectaris for 400 DM).

So, my Questions.

5. Can i make save games on the sd card?
6. I read here is a programm with the name tiled. Is it good?
7. A question to myndale. Can i have a look to your game? BuinoWars

more follow later

thanks
Last edited by mictator on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mictator

Re: English Thread for a Advance Wars similar game

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi,

find another name, e.g. Buinowars, Conflictuino, etc.

Start simple, consider 2D instead of Isometric ("2.5D"). Also keep in mind at 84x48 display resolution, the graphics can be quite tricky. :-)

5 - yes, 6- yes it can save some time when making graphics but you still need an image editor (Paint.net, Gimp, and perhaps viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1000)

Ciao!
Marcus

Postby mictator » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:50 pm

2D, hexoganal maps are my choice.

Myndal had give his project Buinowars i think. I don't won't steal his name? Or can I?

Nectarino (No) :lol:
Battleuino (better)
Conflictuino (good)

or a german name, sounds very exotic and japanese game have often german names.

Schlachteruino
Kriegsruino
Weltkrieguino
mictator

Postby Marcus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:03 pm

I would use a own name - Nectario makes me hungry :-)

BomBuino would make a nice bomberman clone.
Marcus

Re: [EN] Advance Wars similar game

Postby clement » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:56 am

For the code of Myndale you can chek his github repo : https://github.com/Myndale/BuinoWars
clement

Postby adekto » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:12 am

just a reminder the name or atleast the game fine title sude be 8 charecters long due to some memory restrictions (also in capital leters)

somthing like SCHLACHT.HEX would work for example, you can have a long title ingame and on the site like idk "Schlachtfeld Taktik Meister panzer"

also dont go to crazy with your first game, pathfinding is gonna be a tough one for starters
turn based sude work, ai i would forget for now
adekto

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:15 am

adekto wrote:just a reminder the name or atleast the game fine title sude be 8 charecters long due to some memory restrictions (also in capital leters)

somthing like SCHLACHT.HEX would work for example, you can have a long title ingame and on the site like idk "Schlachtfeld Taktik Meister panzer"

[...]

That is actually not the case, as soon as the filename is not all caps or is longer than eight characters and doesn't follow the 8.3 format it gets assigned a generic and unique 8.3 name, still making it work with the gamebuino, as it uses the 8.3 names.
Yes, I tested this.
The new loader even tries to display the long file name, if no INF file is present. If an INF file is present you can just define any longer name in there.
EDIT: More information on that here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3120
Sorunome

Postby adekto » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:21 pm

im not sure how it will work for people with older loaders, i just give it a rule of thumb to keep the file 8.3 charecters as a best practice

anyway this is just small stuff, your game title itself sude not be limited by this

have your tryed any programing yet mictator?
adekto

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:36 pm

It also works fine with the old loader, if your filename is like ThisGameHasALongName.hex it'll be listed as something like THISGA~1.HEX
Sorunome

Postby mictator » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:28 pm

I prefer a german name. When i interpret it right. Kriegsherr worked it not. But Krieg?
mictator

Next

Return to Project Guidance & Game development