Jagged Dudes tilemap-streaming game

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: Jagged Dudes tilemap-streaming game

Postby jonnection » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:54 am

@erico

This is the first picture I drew. I even named him "Lee" and I didn't think at all about Lee van Cleef

In hindsight, obviously I was thinking about him. That's how your subconscious works ;-)

Mr Morricone promised some epic chiptunes if I get my tracker done or someone figures how to stream both tilemaps and music at the same time - so I guess I'm screwed.

By the way: the good the bad & the ugly is not a great western movie. Its one of the greatest movies ever made, regardless of genre. That movie is the definition of epic. I have seen it maybe 10 times.
jonnection

Postby erico » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 am

jonnection wrote:@erico
Mr Morricone promised some epic chiptunes if I get my tracker done or someone figures how to stream both tilemaps and music at the same time - so I guess I'm screwed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, this game cries for a certain mount machine gun coffin dragger dude ;)
erico

Postby superfreaky » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:23 am

About that, the way computers multitask is by quickly switching from task to task, back and forth, usually at too high a speed for you to notice any sort of stutter. Maybe something like that can be used for streaming music and map data at once(not really at once, doing only one task at a time and alternating very fast). I couldn't help you with that though, because I know almost no code. :(
superfreaky

Postby superfreaky » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:07 am

Where can I download the source code?
I read where you said the map is so huge it almost becomes pointless walking around, and suddenly thought, "This would make a good base for a zombie survival game similar to Unturned (one of my favorite games), except 2d rather than a first person shooter. Of course, I would give you creds for creating a base of code for me to work with.

Note: At the moment I know almost nothing about C/C++ or any other code language. Don't be anticipating a useable form game any time this year!
superfreaky

Postby jonnection » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:04 am

Hello Superfreaky

I used Valden's sourcecode to do it. My source only compiles with a custom setup I have made in Code::Blocks - you can't easily use it in the Arduino IDE.

You can go get Valden's source from his git repository.

Check out the discussion in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3260&p=10282&hilit=tilemap#p10282
jonnection

Postby superfreaky » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks!
superfreaky

Postby Vicenzo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:40 pm

jonnection, this looks really really good.

I'm just starting with GameBuino, made my own board last week and currently considering to start a project. I was thinking to approach a turn-based project until I saw this. I'm a kind of generalist software developer, not a C or C++ expert but I find my way around every time I need to do something. I would like to contribute to Jagged Dudes in the near future.

I will go through the source code of other games and make some experiments myself in order to get acquainted with the environment.

Regardless of my own participation on this, have you considered publishing this in a public repository?
Vicenzo

Postby jonnection » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Vicenzo wrote: I would like to contribute to Jagged Dudes in the near future.
Regardless of my own participation on this, have you considered publishing this in a public repository?

Welcome to Gamebuino, I'd very much like to work with you on a turn-based game.

Yes, I am working on releasing pretty much everything I have done so far. Not just Jagged Dudes but all the other stuff as well. Unfortunately, I am very busy before the year end with work, it will be early 2016 before I will get back to Gamebuino coding... such is life. :-(
jonnection

Previous

Return to Project Guidance & Game development