[RELEASED]Untitled Little Racing Game aka B-Rally

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [RELEASED]Untitled Little Racing Game aka B-Rally

Postby superfreaky » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:38 am

I came here for a real reason, but is that car just a minivan? I actually do have something to report about your game. First off, it's fantastic! Second off, I'm getting some weird lag on the last track. Not only when you run a hot lap, and it saves the time at the end, but at random, it will lock up for a couple seconds. This only happens with the last track, is it because it's so big?
superfreaky

Postby Sutchig » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi superfreaky,

first: its a renault scenic :) In my family called "white angel" (there is a "black devil" too (twingo), but the sprites of it looked not so good, because they where all black)

second: it doesnt happen in simbuino, but on my gamebuino with sd-card too. i believe, sometimes at one point the card refuses to work and petitfatfs looses connection. I tested several things, for instance reformatting, or put only this game on sd-card. the lag sometimes occurs then on other tracks. and its not always. i had no idea to avoid this, except to reinitialize. Maybe another card works better, but i'm not sure.
Sutchig

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:51 pm

due to how the FAT filesystem is working reading from the end of a file takes longer, maybe that is the issue?
Sorunome

Postby superfreaky » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:28 am

Sutchig wrote:Hi superfreaky,
It doesnt happen in simbuino, but on my gamebuino with sd-card too. i believe, sometimes at one point the card refuses to work and petitfatfs looses connection. I tested several things, for instance reformatting, or put only this game on sd-card. the lag sometimes occurs then on other tracks. and its not always. i had no idea to avoid this, except to reinitialize. Maybe another card works better, but i'm not sure.

Yes, that's probably it because when you physically remove the sd card in-game, it freezes the same way for a few seconds before giving the error message. I kind of thought the freezing was intentional before I unlocked the last track, because it was always at the end of a lap, leading me to believe it was just freezing and saving a particularly fast lap time. But in the last map, it freezes much more often, usually when you cut off the road.
superfreaky

Postby Sutchig » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:21 pm

I will try to avoid this by using some sort of packing (aka nibble-packing ;) ). That way there is less streaming from sd card, but more usage of cpu - which can make the problem even worse :/
This will take a while...
Sutchig

Postby Sutchig » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:18 pm

may someone try the attached version please?
Attachments
B-RALLY2.zip
(35.38 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Sutchig

Postby frakasss » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Hey!

I just tried it few minutes ago on my Gamebuino. Really nice, again! (Especially the "Game Over" animation ;-) )
Few remarks:

- is it expected to be able to go right/left when the car is not moving forward?
- our car is moving very very fast compared to oponnents... It's even difficult to see them (and change direction to avoid collision...)

That said, everything else looks really good!
frakasss

Postby Sutchig » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:30 am

First: sry for the late reply :(

the right/left-movement is intentionally, as it allows to move if you get stuck by an obstacle. (there is no backward gear)
For speed: i will try to make all a bit slower. (hopefully smoother, too)
The lag, that sometimes occur: with the new version of file format of dat file it seems better, but not gone. I guess, its because sector boundaries of fat file format. petitfatfs "streams" the content from sd, so it needs less ram (other Fat-libraries reads sector wise). If a sector ends, petitfatfs needs to find the starting point of the following sector. (only guesses ;))
Sutchig

Postby Sutchig » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 pm

I need some help with new car sprites because im trying to change the behavior when steering. It should be more "smooth".
Therefore i need an animation of 5..7 frames from center position to one side. Ingame it will be mirrored if necessary.
Size can be max 24x16px. I guess 11..12px height is best.
Grey is supported ;)
I tried hard the last Days but with no efford :(
Can someone plz help?
Sutchig

Previous

Return to Project Guidance & Game development