[community project] RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [community project] RPG

Postby Sorunome » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:41 pm

You should look for a git client, github uses git, not svn ;)
I'll check out code once I'm home tomorrow.
Sorunome

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:04 pm

deeph wrote:Ok I've gave up trying to make it work on emu after a lot of attempts :?

I finally managed to flash my gamebuino over usb, the original cable wasn't working...

So I've made a commit, however the files ended up not where I wanted, so another trunk/ folder was created... I tried using TortoiseSVN but it didn't want to let me log, so I did it using the upload form. I'll look for a better SVN client.

Anyway, I started playing with the sprites, and converted them using a tool I made with PureBasic. I made a start of a map editor too (currently only for windows, sorry :oops:), so I can create easily new data files.

I've modified the tilemapper too but I can't test it out, now I'm stuck at "SD card not found." (while it was working with the original files).

I'll try to fix it all as soon as I've time :?

So, follow up stuff:
1st: imma write a custom asm routine for drawing masked sprites
2nd: any reason you removed the player object? That neatly bundled everything for the player togeather!
3rd: when I compile and upload the sketch the gamebuino just keeps resetting itself.... :/

EDIT: the resetting is due to the player being drawn, i'll do some asm on that anyways, so yeah

EDIT2:

4th: camera position should be enough to be char*
5th: having a fixed tilemap size would be better IMO as we know exactly how much ram it needs to occupy if we want to squeeze so much in there

so, what do you think?

EDIT3:

6th: I had the camera position calculation in the sprite routine so that i don't have to care about camera in other game logic, any reason why you moved that away?

7th: I saw you added animated sprites, I like it! How large is a sprite now, though?

8th: Did i read it correctly that the camera movement is tile-by-tile? Because if so there can be done great speed+size optimiations, however IMO it looks more awesome if camera movement is fluently
Sorunome

Postby deeph » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:54 pm

I've copied a lot of things from my mapper, but feel free to modify everything you want. I just wanted to try it out quickly but I did not even could.

Sorunome wrote:2nd: any reason you removed the player object? That neatly bundled everything for the player togeather!

As I said, I'm not used to objects, and what I've coded is not meant to be final, so feel free to go back to it if it's better.

Sorunome wrote:5th: having a fixed tilemap size would be better IMO as we know exactly how much ram it needs to occupy if we want to squeeze so much in there

I don't know, we would lost space on SD card, but I guess just a small amount. So why not ?

Sorunome wrote:6th: I had the camera position calculation in the sprite routine so that i don't have to care about camera in other game logic, any reason why you moved that away?

Same reason : I used the one from my mapper, which really centers everytime it can the player sprite. I don't remember if the original did it too, but if yes we can go back to it.

Sorunome wrote:7th: I saw you added animated sprites, I like it! How large is a sprite now, though?

There are 3 frames per direction and the sprites are 8*8, and each one has a mask so I guess 192 bytes.

Sorunome wrote:8th: Did i read it correctly that the camera movement is tile-by-tile? Because if so there can be done great speed+size optimiations, however IMO it looks more awesome if camera movement is fluently

Yes at the time the mapper was done for a RPG, not an A-RPG, this will have to change.
deeph

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:22 pm

I meant the size of the normal sprites, not the player :P
So that being 8*3 = 24 bytes?

Also which tilemap size? 12 x 8? I used that one before as it is the size used for the gameboy zelda games, heehee ^.^
Sorunome

Postby superfreaky » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:31 pm

I came up with (I think) a decent name! The Legend of the Blade: Odnipar's Prophecy. I came up with the name "Odnipar" all by myself. (Can't you tell?) Odnipar is the wizard who prophecies of the protagonist. The game is playing out the prophecy. It's designed for a(n eventual, and I haven't even begun to plan for one) sequel, the same Legend of the Blade: (rest of title here) type title.
I could change the name if it's too awful.
superfreaky

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:26 pm

superfreaky wrote:I came up with (I think) a decent name! The Legend of the Blade: Odnipar's Prophecy. I came up with the name "Odnipar" all by myself. (Can't you tell?) Odnipar is the wizard who prophecies of the protagonist. The game is playing out the prophecy. It's designed for a(n eventual, and I haven't even begun to plan for one) sequel, the same Legend of the Blade: (rest of title here) type title.
I could change the name if it's too awful.

I think the name is ok :)

Also @deeph your masked data was invalid.....there are multiple ways to create a masked sprite (that I know of), however each method requires some modification of your data and I wonder which one to do:
1st: AND the outside of the sprite and then OR/XOR the sprite in
2nd: OR the shape of the sprite and then AND the sprite while the outside of it is black
3rd: OR the shape of the sprite and then XOR the negative of the sprite

Which one should I implement? All are the same difficulity-wise and efficiency-wise. It's literetally just a preference of data creation.

The one I found with your data to work (shape of sprite and actual sprite) was OR the shape, XOR the sprite and then XOR the shape, but as that are three operations it is less efficient!
Sorunome

Postby deeph » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Yes you need to inverse masks. They were made to be used with the classic sprite routine but I did'nt changed them yet.

Here are masks to be used with AND :

Code: Select all
const byte maskset_player[]={
   0x87,0x87,0x01,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x6f,0xc0,
   0xff,0x87,0x80,0x00,0x00,0x80,0xf7,0xfb,
   0xff,0xff,0x01,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x5f,0xdf,
   0xc0,0x41,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x01,0x87,0xff,
   0xc3,0x40,0x00,0x80,0x00,0x00,0x87,0xff,
   0xdf,0x41,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x01,0x87,0xff,
   0xc0,0x6f,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x01,0x87,0x87,
   0xfb,0xf7,0x80,0x00,0x00,0x80,0x87,0xff,
   0xdf,0x5f,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x01,0xff,0xff,
   0x87,0x01,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x41,0xc0,0xff,
   0x87,0x00,0x00,0x80,0x00,0x40,0xc3,0xff,
   0x87,0x01,0x01,0x81,0x01,0x41,0xdf,0xff };

I can't make a commit right now since I didn't get git to work yet.

Sorunome wrote:Also which tilemap size? 12 x 8? I used that one before as it is the size used for the gameboy zelda games, heehee ^.^

You mean the standard map size ? The current one I made to test is 30*30. Here's a screenshot of the map editor with it :

deeph

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:50 pm

30x30 is kinda huge....that's already 900 bytes! I think we should settle on something way smaller and instead have multiple screens, as that wouldn't eat ram like a crazy person.
Sorunome

Postby deeph » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Yes, it's temporary and made to debug, too ! :)

12*8 is ok to me.
deeph

Postby Sorunome » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:20 pm

How would you like to store which tilemap goes where?

Maybe something like....

<header size INCLUDING this flag (1 or 2 bytes, probably 2?)>
<map width (1 byte)><map height (1 byte)>
<map offsets or 0xFF if doesn't exist>
<tilemap data of the maps>

This doesn't handle things like enemy data, npc data etc. yet, though....

EDIT:
pushed now to the repo with a custom masked sprite routine and stuff, IDK how your camera boundry logic worked, though, so i just turned it off for now.... >.>
Once there is a test map that fits 12x9 i could add collision detection :D
Sorunome

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development