[community project] RPG - Story discussion

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [community project] RPG - Story discussion

Postby superfreaky » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:08 am

I apologize for no further update, but I had to take apart the end of my deck between yesterday and today. Not sure when I'll have time to update further.
I really need a response from whoever is designing maps. Seriously, how else do I know if you're really doing it? And what if you have questions? Come on, respond.
superfreaky

Postby Sorunome » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 am

I haven't seen j0z0r and konbick around recently, i'll hit them up with a PM.

Also, anybody else who wants to do map design is welcome!
Sorunome

Postby Xenospark » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:03 pm

superfreaky wrote: Everyone needs to read this if you're involved in development. Map designer, you can get started based on the info in here.

Here's the current timeline/story.
1) Two friends exploring together find a sword stabbed into the first floor. When one picks it up, a wave of power blows out from him as he touches it (shower of pixels in all directions) he blew his friend away off screen. They comment on how weird it is, but nothing happens. Narration cuts in, telling how over a period of months, during which the one friend had the sword with him all the time, it becomes apparent that he has changed ( Lord of the Rings, I know) and is much more irritable and Prone to desire more power and authority. They are friends no more, hardly speaking to reach other. And then one day...
2) First chapter. The evil friend is laying siege (single handedly) to a castle, using his sword of extraordinary power. As he is taking over, the good friend is trying to stop him. The people in his own village advised against it in a council, even warning him that guards will detain him if he attempted to leave, because they are afraid that he might invoke the anger of the now powerful warrior against their village. He has to find items and a way around the guards. (Smoke bomb, distraction? That I will leave to the map designer, as well as any items you need to collect and the puzzles to get them because I don't know what the map is like. All I know is that it's along the coast, which starts at the bottom and makes the left border of the map. Bottom left is the hero's home village. Above which, several different paths you can choose intermingling through different stops. A different kind of advisor in each village (randomly distributed) will advise you to focus on different strengths, which you can purchase gems for in the center of each village/town. But wherever you stop first is a wizard who explains how the evil man was corrupted, and gives you a sword he claims can defeat the evil dude (anyone got a badass fantasy name?) You may choose to upgrade the sword itself with gems, or character attributes rather than sword. (I'll discuss those more later) this upgrade process is important for later. So, yeah, I'm giving pretty much free rein, just first town at bottom left and castle somewhere at the top. Make several optional paths that may intersect but lead differently between five or six towns and places. I have no imagination on this area, so feel free to build from the ground up.) There, back out of parenthesis. So anyway, when he finally gets up to the"boss battle," he is automatically defeated (as in, the baddie is invincible in this fight) and when the hero dies, his body collapses as he drops his sword, then his incredibly heroic spirit leaves his body... and enters the sword (oh by the way if it wasn't obvious before the sword of the bad friend has the spirit of an evil warrior inside.) The sword explodes after a second into a shower of pixels.
3) Now in map #2. A pedestal. Pixels appear at the edge of the screen and converge in the middle, forming on the pedestal in, you guessed it, a sword. Or rather, the sword.
This map is a puny island with a grand total of one village, a small forest, and a cave (a mini-map in the map, if you would. Plus a volcano mountain.)

Ok it's late and I'm going to bed but the rest of this post will continue tomorrow I hope.

So if I'm reading this correctly, the real story begins after the first hero dies and his spirit enters the sword? I think this is a pretty great idea! Maybe add a prestige like function, found often in incremental games (Tap Titans, Adventure capitalist, or even... Cookie Clicker) where each time you die, that spirit enters the sword(I can't really think of any names for it because so many other games have cool sword names that it seems like a bunch are taken haha), preserving any stats you had gained.
In a simpler way and in the form of an example, you are lvl 2, you put a stat point into ATK (or whatever the team decides to make the stats) and then you die. When you start over, you are lvl 1 but you still have a +1 ATK modifier on the sword itself. I think this could create some nice replay value. For balancing reasons, you might not want to let it stack, but that's all up to you guys. I understand that this was meant to be one hero, but maybe adding this could add a cool gameplay effect? Anyway, great plot, and I'm going to try and learn this language as best as I can if y'all will let me join the team ^.^
Xenospark

Postby naed » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:22 am

is Superfreaky still active?

if not is anyone willing to take over the storyline for this project?

I like the idea of a spirit being in the sword - maybe the 'Hero' could call upon that spirit to help find secret locations (i really like the idea of the inverted colours from the other thread)
naed

Postby Sorunome » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:02 am

Unfortunately I don't think that Superfreaky is active anymore
Sorunome

Postby superfreaky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:28 am

First off, I would like to apologise to anyone involved for inactivity and delaying this project. I'm sorry, but it can't be helped now. Man, the last few months have been busy! I spent all my time doing school until I graduated quite early. Now, I have a full time job, at least through the end of summer when I go to college. I will have as much time for this sort of thing as I have had for the last 9 months. In other words, I'm going to tell you now what I should have a year ago. I'm quitting story development; anyone can have that job. I think there are some great ideas here I would never have thought of! You guys are fantastic. I know with someone else at the helm of the story and mechanic concepts, it will get finished much sooner than I could do. I wish I could finish this, but the logical side of me tells me it just won't happen. Thanks for tolerating me and again, sorry. Have a good life everyone.

(As a side note - the keyboard in mobile devices for this website has a most unhelpful auto correct feature that slows down typing by a lot. Maybe that could change some day?)
superfreaky

Previous

Return to Project Guidance & Game development