Dune Saga RPG

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: Dune Saga RPG

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:38 am

The library is really meant for teensys sized 3.1-3.2 and 3.5 to 3.6 which have 128,256,512and 1024 KB respectively. Unfortunately that will limit some people. the only thing I can do at this point is put the libraries and hope people want to join in. Maybe sometime in the future that will change. Of course you don't have to go full color. You could also take advantage of the 320x240 screen resolution and make real black and grey bitmaps.

I actually use summoner 123's tilemap routine which I added to all the libraries. then I change the aray numbers to match the tiles I want that array to display.
Attachments
Gamebuinosummoner123.rar
(85.43 KiB) Downloaded 1449 times
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:17 am

Sorry i was irratated with myself and tiled earlier so let me elaborate my process. First i design all my tiles then i split them up into bitmaps of individual colors making sure ine color wont overlap another. Then i use an app to break them down to hex.

For using tiled i take all my bitmaps and put them all in one sheet so tiled can display them. Now make your maps, i make one then i take my tilesheet and break it down to individual colors as well. Once you are happy. Save as a jason file. Now open that and make yourself a list of the tiles for each set of colors. And number so each tile is next in line like tile one equals one and so on skipping over blank tiles and erading them of your time maps. Until all the numbers mstch the order you set them. It gets pretty frustrating after a while trying to remember what you did and didnt do.

Now change the integers in the json file to match each color line up. After that i add a blank 0 tile to my spritesheet and save it. After that you can use the tilrmap to display the array.

But its really cheap on progmem that way. As it doesnt save the tiles over and over again, it just saves the bitmap once and then display it how ever many you need
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:47 am

Well I lost a lot of work I had done for the game. And I mean a lot. Fortunately I was able to keep my tiles for the world maps but had to create all new character sprites. I had a lil fun with them, trying to make unique looks for each character. Also made about 21 generic characters for towns and villages with a mix of fremen and plain women sprites. And a bunch of male fremen sprites.

I think I'll make a smaller worldmap this time when we get the tilemap straightened out. The old was ridiculous at over 500x500 tiles. This time I may release it parts.

Part 1 deals with the Atreades family and its people to move to Arrakis. Part 2 with the changing of the guard and hopefully by part three we can do a much bigger map. As far as the first part goes it will be pretty linear so not much dune riding. Then by the end of part two Paul has taken the water of life and proved himself a fremen by calling and riding a worm. Then we can do the full map with some kind and of worm feature.

I've been playing around with the drawBitMap from SD functions and I'm not sure it can be used for a player Sprite cursor. You can but its real slow. When I draw a bitmap from SD it's pretty instantaneous but with SD it can take up to 2 seconds which is forever in game time.

Until I can optimize it it should prolly only be used for monsters and thier backgrounds and to store NPC's and cut scenes.

Ok just wanted to update and say I'm still working on the game at least part time.
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 am

Omg!!!! Spent the last two days encoding 60+ tiles for an updated graphics version of what ve been posting in my videos. I wanted less Dragonwarrior/LOZnes and more links awakening/Pokemon type bitmaps. Looks so much better and I have the room. Had a hard time with the bones bitmaps that looks like a giant carcass due to the sand tiles.

I had an idea today. I was thinking I could do a bunch of different towns/dungeons then I can make a minimap to connect them. That way I can keep the idea of riding worms and stuff like I wanted between mountainous out croppings. I would make map icons using the older tiles that look near like the expanded version.

I have a question about development though. Since I'm doing an RPG and so far I have to make extra copies of bitmaps to trigger different rooms or what ever. Do I add the NPC's to my tiles and collision routine? Or do I right them in later somehow?
Duhjoker

Postby Duhjoker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:40 am

ok so I thought every thing out for the game and counted all the villages, caves, registermachine, stairs and exits. check out my terrain sprite list.....
Code: Select all
const byte *spritesheet[] = {blank_tile, bedtop, bedbot, bones11, bones12, bones13,          ///6
bones21, bones22, bones23, bookstop, booksbot, cabtop, cabbot, cactus, chimneytop,           ///14
chimneybot, coconut, debris, floort, palmtl, palmtr, palmbl, palmbr, ptreetop,               ///23
ptreebot, plant1, plant2, rocktopcap, rockbotcap, rockleftcap, rockrightcap         ,        ///30
rockcornertl, rockcornertr, rockcornerbl, rockcornerbr, rockcornersharptl,                   ///35
rockcornersharptr, rockcornersharpbl, rockcornersharpbr, rockendl, rockendr,                 ///40
rockwalllc, rockwallrc, rockwall, sand, skeleton, stonewall, tablel, tabler, tablesm,        ///49
seitch1, seitch2, seitch3, seitch4, seitch5, seitch6, seitch7, seitch8, cave1, cave2,        ///59
cave3, cave4, cave6, cave7, cave8, cave9, cave10, cave11, cave12, cave13, cave14, cave15,    ///71
cave16, cave17, cave18, stepsleft1, stepsleft2, stepsleft3, stepsleft4, stairsl1, stairsr1,  ///80
stairsl2, stairsr2, stairsl3, stairsr3, stairsl4, stairsr4, stairsl5, stairsr5, stairsl6,    ///89
stairsr16, stairsl7, stairsr7, stairsl8, stairsr8, stairsl9, stairsr9, stairsl10, stairsr10, ///98
stairsl11, stairsr11,stairsl12, stairsr12, stairsl13, stairsr13, stairsl14, stairsr14,       ///106
stairsl15, stairsr15, stairsl16,stairsr16, stairsl17, stairsl18, stairsl19, stairsl20,       ///114
register1,register2, register3, register4, register5, register6, register7, register8,       ///122
register9, register10, clerk1, clerk2, clerk3, clerk4, clerk5, clerk6, clerk7, clerk8,       ///132
clerk9, clerk10, exit1, exit2, exit3, exit4, exit5, exit6, exit7, exit8, exit9, exit10,      ///144
exit11, exit12, exit13, exit14, exit15, exit16, exit17, exit18, exit19, exit20, exit21,      ///155
exit22, exit23, exit24};                                                                     ///158     

The clerks are not action tiles I just wanted every register machine to have a stationary person sprite. I haven't added the exits yet but heres the tile sheet....
Attachments
dunetiles.png
dunetiles.png (9.57 KiB) Viewed 41500 times
Duhjoker

Postby awesome101 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 am

sorry I haven't been on the forum for a while. I actually am making my own game based on a movie too hehe :D. Anyways, its based on Bahubali 2, an Indian mythological battle movie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baahubali ... Conclusion and trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD-6d8Wo3do). Still working on the sprites but I think the story should begin when he's climbing the waterfall and then should lead into the whole kingdom war and stuff.
awesome101

Postby Duhjoker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:15 am

Im having alot of fun doing this but it gets a lil tedious making the bitmaps. But at least we only have to make 1 bitmap and not several. I actually have all my mains, all the tiles and 7 monsters out of 36. And i still need to do my generic NPC's so i have villagers.

Im would like to build a program that allows you to set your palette in it then read your full color bitmaps and turn them into hex but i dont know where to start.

Right now we are having popup issues. I re-wrote the function to the updated code and it compiles but i cant get it to work. I even added an A button program to display a message when the a button is hot but no luck.

Edit:::
better to start small and expand out. Every thing got a lil confusing. So now I started with a central land mass then listed at the rear just what I need for that land mass. Stairs, steps exits and caves just for that. Then I can add more later and I'll know what does what as I go.
Duhjoker

Postby awesome101 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Just make a python script to do it. I'm using a python script to parse my cutscene scripting code (which is kind of like assembly) and then turn it into bytecode. For example, in my scripting code, I may have "FADE BLACK WHITE 1" (which means fade the screen from black to white with a duration of 1 second). This is converted into "1, 1, 0, 1" which is the bytecode equivelant. I then take the bytecode file and put it on my sd card and then the teensy reads the sd card to interpret it.
awesome101

Postby Duhjoker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:52 am

So your using sd? Hows that working? Have you been able to display any thing? Im using the writerect4bpp method and havent touched but 4% of my total flash space. Just a few kb

Do you mind sharing your function?
Duhjoker

Postby awesome101 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:10 am

No I use the sd to store scripts not bitmaps
Also, what do you mean by "how is that working" because there is multiple spi ports on Teensy I think you spent too many pins on buttons cause I have a PISO shift register that handles button input
awesome101

PreviousNext

Return to Project Guidance & Game development