[WIP] SplashBox (Splatoon Platformer in 2D for Gamebuino)

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

Re: [WIP] SplashBox (Splatoon Platformer in 2D for Gamebuino

Postby wuuff » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:32 am

I just tried the demo out, and the painting mechanic is pretty cool! It seems to paint the ceilings sometimes when I'm not touching them, though. Is that supposed to happen? In the final version, will you be able to paint surfaces by both running on them and shooting at them?

I think it will be cool to have a multiplayer game of this type on the Gamebuino, since there aren't that many multiplayer games right now.
wuuff

Postby STUDIOCRAFTapps » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 pm

wuuff wrote:I just tried the demo out, and the painting mechanic is pretty cool!

wuuff wrote: It seems to paint the ceilings sometimes when I'm not touching them, though. Is that supposed to happen? In the final version, will you be able to paint surfaces by both running on them and shooting at them?

This is just a small demo of the painting mechanic. Each wall can be controlled individually. I use 1 byte per block, in this byte, I use 2 bit for each wall. That mean that I can set a value from 0 (no paint) to 3 (a lot of paint) for all 4 wall in a block! The demo doesn't care about paint on a specific side, It just wants to show that you can paint a block.

The game will have a multitude of weapons. There's some of them that are rollers type weapon, rollers are the only weapon that doesn't require you to shoot the ink, it applies the ink on the ground.

wuuff wrote:I think it will be cool to have a multiplayer game of this type on the Gamebuino since there aren't that many multiplayer games right now.

I'll like to add multiplayer but I don't know how...
STUDIOCRAFTapps

Postby erico » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Tried the demo, I could only move around and jump, the painting didn´t work (yeah b button stuff).

I found it a little bit slow, but depending on the kind of game proposed (ye multiplayer) it may be fine.
I also noticed I can land on the very left border off-pixel on a wall, is that supposed to happen? It only happens on the left side where the tile has a missing pixel cause of the checkboard style.

Anyways, pretty solid engine going on.
erico

Previous

Return to Project Guidance & Game development