wireless com, second displays and clusters

Advice on general approaches or feasibility and discussions about game design

wireless com, second displays and clusters

Postby hrangan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:29 pm

A quick question on hardware options guys, I want to be able to do more with the Gamebuino, but need some input on feasibility.

1. What's the smallest module that'll allow the Gamebuino to communicate wirelessly? I'm ok with either bluetooth or wifi, whichever is more compact. This is so that I can use it as a controller for my PC, either to play simple 8 bit games, or more likely as a remote to control my movies and music.

2. Is there any way to add a second 84x48 px display that connects over I2C or ICSP? Could it be driven via USB.

3. Linking a second processor for intensive rendering. Something that doesn't need to be as fast to talk to as the RAM, but can handle rules processing for more complicated games (read: Go)
hrangan

Re: wireless com, second displays and clusters

Postby rodot » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 pm

1. The smallest and cheapest wireless module you can find is a NRF24L01. You'll find it for less than $5. It uses SPI communication, which is accessible through Gamebuino ICSP port on the left. If you want to control your computer, you could plug an Arduino Leornardo along with another NRF24LL01. The Arduino Leonardo would receive command from the Gamebuino. Arduino Leonardo is able to emulate either a mouse or keyboard to directly control you computer.
2. Gamebuino display's uses SPI, so yes you could plug another one on the ICSP port. If you want to drive it though USB you just have to make a program on you computer that send what to display, and a program on your Gamebuino which interpret these commands to display them. The dumbest version would be to directly print on the screen the characters you receive through USB.
3. Yes you could link a second processor for intensive rending. You should do it through the ISP port as it's way faster.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby hrangan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks rodot.

I'm thinking a cluster is something better handled by regular arduino's. I just got a little carried away by this. Practically, an arduino compute cluster could handle any really high level processing required and would also look neater in a housing

As for dual screens, the idea is still in the brewing stages.

I was hunting around and found the GROVE system (http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/GROVE_System) and they have a whole bunch of easy to use I2C modules. I noticed that both the Gamebuino and GROVE have male I2C headers, is there an easy way to hook them up without a long cable. Something like the male to female connector we get for VGA sockets?
hrangan

Postby rodot » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 am

I designed Gamebuino's I2C ports for them to be compatible with regular I2C modules, like grove and tinkerkit. That was on purpose ;)
To connect them to a Gamebuino you can either use a cable, or change their connector for a female one (a regular female pin header .100" spacing), so you can directly plug them on your Gamebuino.
rodot
Site Admin

Postby hrangan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 am

Do you think it'd make sense for the Gamebuino to ship with one male and one female I2C header?
hrangan

Postby rodot » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:35 am

I don't think it would make sense to have two different connectors to do the exact same thing, sorry :/
But you can use a short cable and attach modules on the back/top of your Gamebuino ;)
rodot
Site Admin

Return to Project Guidance & Game development